Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 April 2003 15:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Angela Oakey-Jones
I'm looking into the levels of contamination of paper money by classified substances (e.g. heroin, amphetamine etc). I am aware that all paper money will show some trace contamination - and that this raises the issue of whether there are acceptable levels of background contamination.

I need to know at what level (if one exists)
such contamination is considered unacceptable and whether there are any standards against which this can be compared or measured. I have not found anything relating to this in EH40/2002.

Whilst I have access to the laboratory testing methodologies for drug contamination, I don't have information specifically relating to money or on simple tests which could be carried out away from a lab setting.

I'd be grateful for any information, particularly from members with pharmaceutical or chemical backgrounds.

Kind regards

Angela Oakey-Jones MIOSH

H M Customs & Excise
Law Enforcement

Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2003 16:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Angela

Can't the Forensic Science Service help?

Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2003 16:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton
Have responded to you direct on this one.

Hilary
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2003 17:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi
Angela,

The term "background levels" (of exposure, not contamination) is normally used in context of either chemical, biological, radiation & physical agents in the air or absorbed by ecological systems.

I doubt there is any significant amount of background level exposure to classified substances, unless it is being used in the vicinity. Regarding contamination levels(such as on surfaces of currency notes) Whereas it is possible to determine the presence or absence of a substance by some form of chemical analysis, I very much doubt you can assign background contamination levels of classified substances on currency notes as the amount is dependent upon complex set of factorsand in my opinion, cannot be constant or even an empirical relationship be established!