Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 April 2003 23:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew West
The company I'm dealing with buy and re-distribute a variety of goods. This sometimes includes aerosols of various products most of which carry an extremely flammable label. The size of the individual containers is between 250ml - 500ml. The total quantity that we would store or transport at any one time would be in the region of 500 litres. We have been advised by a local health & safety person that we need to store these products in a fire proof container within our warehouse, and that special measures need to be taken for the transport of these goods. Can anyone point me in the right direction with regard to best practice and legal standards.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 May 2003 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould
I would look into seeking a dangerous goods safety advisor and consulting the carriage of dangerous goods regs etc. Storage issues should be developed after a suitable and sufficient risk assessment is made.
You are tredding dangerous ground in this area.

There are books and acops on strage of dangerous goods. someone will mention some for you.

Speak to a local company who already deal with these goods. the dgsa or safety officer would be happy to help on general advice.

Please do not try to rsolve this issue without proffesional advice.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 May 2003 09:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson
The DGSA function is with regard to shipping of products, not there storage - I have found most DGSAs are very specific on this.

You could do a lot worse than consult HS(G)76 - H&S in retail and wholesale warehouses (ISBN 0-11-885731-2) for a generalistic overview, and also HS(G)71 for information on segregation of products.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 May 2003 09:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By martin knox
I agree with Jason, and not wanting to sound negative but,

you are walking on thin ice to say the least,

the hazards and risks are all too obvious, yet the criminal sanctions are equally apparent as a number of regulations are being breached, one Jason did not mention (CHIP Regs) - chemical hazard information packaging for supply regs,

your vehicle may also need to display a HAZCHEM label, driver carry a trem card,
driver be trained what to do in an emergency - fires etc, with the correct FF appliance.

Your company - as it transports dangerous substances should also have its own DGSA -dangerous goods safety advisor,

my advice would be until measures are put in place, contract out this particular job(s) until your company has the required level of expertise to undertake such activities - safely and legally.

hope this helps

Martin Knox

Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 May 2003 10:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Holliday
Andrew,

Contact the British Aerosol Manufacturers Association BAMA:
Kings Buildings, Smith Square, London SW1P 3JJ
Tel: +44 20 7828 5111
Fax: +44 20 7834 8436
e-mail: enquiries@bama.co.uk

They will be able to help you, but be prepared to have to introduce a lot more controls than you probably anticipated.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 May 2003 11:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton
Just a reminder that in June the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations come into full force and you will also have to comply with these with regard to the explosive and flammable nature of these aerosols and contents - rather you than me! Good luck
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 May 2003 13:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew West
Thanks for the response. It would appear that this is a hot potato. If the level of control required is as indicated I'm sure many small organisations don't comply, either out of ignorance or because of restrictive cost.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 07 May 2003 18:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
Andrew,

just to hammer the message home - one of the biggest warehouse fires in the united states was seriously aggravated by aerosols exploding and taking off like rockets, igniting fresh areas well away from the original seat of the fire.

Go by the book on this one. There really is no other way to handle it. And check with your insurers.

Merv Newman