Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 May 2003 10:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicola Mason We are currently developing a safety management system in accordance with the specification OHSAS 18001. I would like to know where I could find information on other construction companies who have attained or are in the process of certification to this specification. Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 May 2003 10:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Hi Nicola Look at my earlier thread on OHSAS 18001 in October. There is a reply from a construction company on that thread. Good luck!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 May 2003 11:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould is it true this is an expensive system to set up
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 May 2003 12:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond It's costing our organisation about £7000 - using BSI. Is this expensive? - depends really on whether you feel it will help you to: win tenders/customers, reduce insurance premiums and act as a 'Get out of Jail' Card for your Top management. Our MD is very keen because it will hopefully show we have outside endorsement to the way we do things and we may be the first in our sector to get the certification. It also helps us to put a clear 5-year plan together for health & safety and it will hopefully put pressure on our managers to implement health & safety properly.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 May 2003 14:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith Nicola, If you go to the technical resources page on this web-site, http://www.iosh.co.uk/in...echnical.resources&cid=1 I think that you may find the systems in focus guidance document useful for your research into the development of safety management systems. Fortunately this is a free document from IOSH which you can also download.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 02 May 2003 16:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicola Mason Thanks for all responses. To answer some of the queries - costs vary from consultant to consultant. Hidden costs can vary following risk assessment of organisations activities, they can take the form of additional training required or replacing / adjusting equipment to meet required standards to introducing new policies and procedures to reduce risks identified during intial audit. I hope this helps