Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

PPE
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2003 09:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Dominy
I am looking for a bit of guidance on the provision of Boots to Employees

I appreciate that the company must provide its employees with all PPE but as there are so many boots available at varying Costs it has always been a bit of a grey area ( Or is it just me)

I understand that if the employees work dictates that he requires a specific boot depending on the work he is asked to udertake then the employer must provide it

I am seeking some guidance if there is any information anyway or any guidance on the provision of boots for employees

I have worked for one company whose employees were governed by union agreements who have stipulated that a monetary allowance is given to employees based on a reasonable price for a good quality standard of Boot meeting all the normal requirements.

Many employees go out and buy there own boots as people often feel comfortable in certain boots using the allowance they are entilted to.

Does anyone know if there is a set figure or is there anything written down as guidance for employers.

Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 May 2003 11:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson
The key issue is one of safety standards for PPE. If you reimburse your staff, rather than providing the boots do you check thatthey are appropriate for the tasks undertaken? It may be simplest to identify the appropriate standard for footware, eg EN345 200 Joule toecaps, acid & heat resistant, or whatever is relevant and tell the employees that safety footware must be complient with your requirements, based on a risk assessment.