Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 May 2003 17:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy
Dear all,

We had an employee who worked for us for two months, in this time they were referred to the nurse and GP several times with alleged ULD symptoms at each referral, the person was assessed, and employed in a variety of position within two departments over the two months. Some of these tasks were repetitive. This person’s employment was terminated after two months as an unsuccessful probationary period when a suitable role could not be found and considering that to continue this person’s employment would be detrimental to their health.

Lots of time of and visits to GP and nurse, differing roles offered, all were unsuitable in the eyes of the employee, the person is claiming disability discrimination through an ET, come on……..,

Can anyone help with some advice / case law ( I am aware of Page v Freight Hire

Thanks in anticipation
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 May 2003 19:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards
The case you mention has now been superceded, before we can advise further can you let us know a few further items?

Firstly what was the job role and was the disability mentioned in the recrutiment and selection process?

Is a medical required as part of the recruitment and selection process?

Did the unsatisfactory probation period just prove unsatisfactory because of a physical problem in doing the job, or was it attendance or another aspect of the job?

What steps were taken prior to release by HR or management?

Once the above is known I can let you have case law which is appropriate, but it seems to me on face value that your recruitment and selection procedure needs attention!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 May 2003 20:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy
Robert,

Thankyou for your response, can I be frank?

Whilst I do appreciate your questions, I am not asking for an opinion on our employment process. Sorry to sound harsh, I do not mean to, I do appreciate your response and it is often helpful to ask searching questions. However, what I would really appreciate is any relevant case law and employment H&S law, particularly HASWA v DDA

Answers

1) The person was employed in various roles, mostly manual work such as labelling and packing products.

2) There is no disability in the eyes of the employer, (in the case of current evidence) only symptoms of WRULDS, nothing reported in employment screening

3) A medical inspection/screening is required and appropriate questions asked. Normal screening questionnaires etc

4) Question already answered, probationary period unsuccessful as no suitable role could be found within the company that did not cause the person to complain of ULD symptoms.

5) As previously stated, the person was referred to OHN, GP, company MO etc, varying roles were offered and the person spent two months undertaking these various roles, however, I have been told that the person complained of ULD symptoms from all roles.

Thanks again,

Regards

Andrew
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 May 2003 20:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Hi Andy,

Can I be frank too? Without looking at your recruitment and selection procedure as well as what happened after you will not get an answer that is worth much!
If you want case law you can use at a tribunal it is a good idea to match the circumstances as near as possible.Thanks for the answers, I will do the research for you and post it on here.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 May 2003 21:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Try looking at the following;
Kenrick v HJ Heinz Co Ltd
[2000] IRLR 144, EAT, December 1999
Baynton v Saurus General Engineers
[1999] IRLR 604
O'Neill v Symm & Co Ltd [1998] ICR 481
Farnsworth v London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham (June 2000)
Heggison v A & W Bernard (March 2000)
Morse v Wiltshire County Council
[1998] IRLR 352( for reasonableness of alternatives authority)

In my view the whole claim's success will be based on how your company treat other staff, the other jobs available to this staff member and what adjustments if any were attempted to assist here.

The disability question is one for the tribunal based on medical evidence and there are a plethora of other cases which outline the Tribunal's views on medical evidence, so care should be taken by you in deciding what to place before the tribunal to refute claims in this area.

Given the degree of medical investigation and the fact you mention symptoms of WRULD then it is likely that a disability will be found, particularly given now, no doubt that the applicant will be argusing that he/she is suffering from a disability and this was borne out by the problems with ULD in each of the jobs.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 May 2003 17:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Morrison
I have every sympathy. I have had a very similar experience, with someone who started work and immediately complained that almost every job they were put on caused them problems. All jobs had been risk assessed, staff we rotated on jobs, all had pre-work medical questionnaires. They visited the company Doctor, there own GP, and still complained that everything they did caused them pain. In the end they were dismissed due to lack of competency to perform the tasks required.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 May 2003 18:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
Question 1: Has this person actually been diagnosed as having ULD ?

Question 2: If so, was this detected during the medical screening ?

If 1=yes and 2=no, then you have a problem. Otherwise, I don't see one.

Merv Newman
Admin  
#8 Posted : 08 May 2003 18:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy
Many thanks to all that have replied.

Its late, working on as usual and have just had a chance to have a look at the forum.

Many thanks, will look into the questions raised tommorow.

Regards

Andrew
Admin  
#9 Posted : 09 May 2003 11:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
dont know if this is appropriate.

Coxall v Goodyear Great Britain Ltd

This case relates to a ruling that states where an employee ran a risk of physical danger by continuing in his employment the employer owed the employee a duty to dismiss him in order to protect him against that danger.

The Court of Appeal dismissed an appeal by the employers (Goodyear Great Britain Ltd), from an award of damages of £7,500 plus interest and costs to the employee, John Coxall, for occupational asthma suffered through working as a paint and line operator in the employers’ tyre factory in Wolverhampton. The employers were aware that the employee suffered from a mild constitutional predisposition to asthma.

The employers’ claimed that the judge was bound to hold that employers were not under a duty to dismiss an employee from work which could ordinarily be undertaken safely, merely because of some particular susceptibility on the employee’s part exposing him to risk of harm if he continued in that work. Rather, it was for the employee to decided whether to take the risk or not.

However, the Court of Appeal held that cases could arise when, despite the employee’s desire to remain at work notwithstanding his recognition of the risk he ran, the employer would nevertheless be under a duty in law to dismiss him for his own good in order to protect him against physical danger. That duty arose in this case.

Coxall v Goodyear Great Britain Ltd