Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 May 2003 14:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Vicky Pye Thanks to the replies to my last thread reagrding fire certificates. I now have another query! My company rent a floor of an office block which is occupied by a number of different companies. Would the landlord be required to have a fire certificate for the whole of the building OR would the individual companies each need a fire certificate for the space they occupy in the building? Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 May 2003 15:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Morriss A fire certificate will be required for the whole premis with a cert relating to your area supplied by the local authority.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 May 2003 16:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser This is where regulation 11 of the Management of Health & Safety at Work Regs 1999 comes in - the requirement for two or more employers sharing a workplace temporarily or permanently to co-operate and co-ordinate with others as far as necessary to enable statutory duties to be complied with. This is simply an expansion of the general provisions of the 1974 Health and Safety At Work Act.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 May 2003 09:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Vicky. In addition each 'occupier' of premises - assuming these are workplaces - will also need to undertake a fire risk assessment, and if necessary, cooperate with the building owner in the actions necessary to ensure safe evacuation etc of all occupiers. I also believe that the fire certificate requirements are encumbent on all employers, not just the building owner and suitable arrangements for coordination and cooperation (as mentioned above) must be undertaken to ensure this is carried out.