Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 May 2003 09:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone We are looking at our procedures on managing H&S for workplacements. The problem we have is how often and how we carry out checks on the placements. With limited staff and thousands of students on hundreds of placements how can we carry out the checks? How does other people carry out these checks and at what frequency? Also we have students placed with families, some are abroad. What checks do other people carry out on these families? We carry out CRB checks in the Uk but what about abroad? Any help would be great Ian
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 May 2003 11:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ed Carter Ian, We're in the same boat. I believe the DofE&S/AOC/LSC are currently looking into the issue, as I know it the subject has been raised at their liaison meetings in the past. Our organisation tend to visit placements,when accepted after initial appraisal, on a quarterly basis. Hope this helps, Ed
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 May 2003 11:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ed Carter Ian, We have the same issue. I'm aware that the DofES/LSC/Association of Colleges are looking into the subject after it was brought up at one of their liaison meetings. The international placements are the most arkward. other than that we tend to carry out an initial appraisal of potential placements, if accepted they are then visited on a quarterly basis, although those in placement are obviously seen more regularly when they attend courses etc. Hope this helps Ed
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 May 2003 13:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Is this another LA winge about not wanting to comply with statuatary duties due to lack of money? In industry, we comply to the law or don't do the job. Otherwise we get dragged through the courts. I see no reference in Management of H&S at Work regs that says "Do a risk assesssment" (I assume this is what these visits are in essence) if you feel like it". We have work placements going on here all the while - I like the idea of the kids seeing the big bad world. The LA H&S liason officer always checks even though he knows how we run. If they can do it, so can you.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 May 2003 14:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone Our College or myself have no problem in completing these checks and my request was not asking to get out of it. The checks are carried out by staff as and when they can. What I was asking was how do other people carry them out and how often. We all have to show we are looking after the H&S of the placements.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 May 2003 15:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Your level of responsibility is related to whether the placements are employed status with the company or not. If they are employed status, the onus for H&S lies mainly with the placement company, therefore you should tailor your system accordingly. At the same time, it is probably best to risk band each employer by occupation and visit the higher risk areas first and more frequently. However, with all systems, there are flaws and if a higher risk occupation is well managed, it may well be safer to work in than a recognised lower risk environment. Why not speak to the relevant training organisation e.g. CITB, ATB etc. for their guidance
Admin  
#7 Posted : 14 May 2003 15:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Just a thought, but presuming that students are not already required to complete some form of evaluation on the placement itself (over and above any reports required to be submitted for the course), could this not be introduced and used as "evidence" to satisfactorily evaluate the placement location? Only badly performing/poorly rated organisations would be targetted for impromptu visits to determine if they are good enough to remain on the approved list. The first thing they should be doing is conducting a Health and Safety Induction of the student as if they were a new employee and if this wasn't done, their commitment to safety needs to be seriously addressed! Also, and I am making another presumption here, there will be established organisations who routinely offer placements to students, with whom a close relationship will be forged with the placement body. Is it really necessary to visit them so often, without a direct statutory requirement to do so? This would mean that resources could be focused on allowing new organisations onto the approved list by visiting them to do an evaluation of their SMS, ensuring it meets acceptable standards and then placing them on a routine safety audit review schedule - perhaps only visiting some every three years, but annualy for the higher risk environments. Maybe even random visits, with short notice, would be a condition of the agreement of placement. Routine H&S reports could be forwarded annually to the LA by all those wishing to remain on the approved list. There are a number of ways to approach this without making it an onerous chore. Note, even the HSE are unable to visit companies routinely due to lack of resources - and they are the legal enforcement body! The balance has to be the perceived risk vs. actual risk - surely the main assumption should be that reputable organisations meet the UK Health and Safety regulatory requirements already, so they don't need frequent compliance inspections! Once in a while should be OK, should it not? If we were really condoning such actions, then perhaps the LA's should consider giving out some sort of mark to approved organisations (Safe Placement Award) so they can use it in their marketing litereature to show how often they are getting inspected and endorsed!! I do not agree that LA's seek ways around legislation - often the threat of public litigation against a "faceless" governmental authority means they go into overkill in order to cover themselves. I'm not sure that I enjoy the thought of my hard-earned Council Tax being wasted on such efforts that might only bear fruit once in a while (occasionally finding a poor organisation and removing it from the approved list), when it could be more effectively used elsewhere for greater actual benefit every day. But that is a discussion for elsewhere!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 15 May 2003 09:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Conway I just finished reviewing our arrangements as a placement provider. I found the following references particularly useful - "Managing health and safety on work experience: a guide for organisers" (HSG199), published by the HSE and "Health and safety on work experience" published by DFEE. Whether the student is paid or not the Health and Safety (Training for Employment) Regulations 1990 class them as employees for the purpose of compliance with health and safety legislation. The organisers duty is to do what is reasonably practicable to ensure students are not placed in a working environment where they are not placed at risk. You may already be familiar with these documents and have many of these suggestions below in place. The completion of a well designed questionaire by the provider which seeks establish the nature of the organisations general arrangements for health and safety and their specific arrangements for protecting placements. Ask for a summary of the activities and environments the placement will be working along with risks which have been identified and what precautions are necessary. Follow it up with a telephone interview with the nominated contact. Visit if the placement is to work in a hazardous environment (e.g agriculture, construction etc) or where you are not satisfied with any of the responses. Also seek feedback from the student during the placement to confirm what should be happening is - if not visit. Note the later document does make recommendations on frequency of visits based on risk. Steve