Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 May 2003 12:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Ferneyhough One of the companies within the group I work for, construct timber frames for houses. We are employed by a Principle contractor to construct the frame to their design, we sub contract the erection of the frame to a third party. The principle contractor then finishes the frame externally. In looking at the H & S arrangements required we look to the sub contractor to provide us with a method statement, risk assessments, safety policy & liability insurance in respect of the erection. The frame construction & transporting is carried out by our staff at our premises & transported in our vehicles to site. The arrangements have to be agreed by all parties prior to work commencing. We provide a contracts manager who ensures the foundations are accepable, the build is to design and the method is as previously agreed. He is also the link between Principle contractor & sub contractors erecting the frame. What I am looking for is guidance on whether what we are doing is sufficient or is there more that we should be doing? Thanks Geoff Ferneyhough
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 May 2003 13:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott Geoff, It would seem to me that you are doing all that is reasonable and practicable to provide a safe construction or are you suggesting that more could be done due to some other problem encountered in the past? If you want to talk, you know where I am!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 May 2003 10:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Geoff. These are the questions I would be asking: 1) Why are you reliant upon working under another companies liability insurance. do you have/need your own!! (as an employer?) 2) Assuming this project is subject to CDM, who is the 'designer'? have designs been approved by the 'designer' and have they been checked by a Structural Engineer. Ditto foundations (unless the Contract manager is a suitably qualified and competent person) 3) Assuming (2) above has been carried out, what controls are in place to ensure that the 'design' is complied with and is the person doing this a 'competent person' to undertake such a role 4) have the risk assessments and safety method statements been approved by the principle contractor (regardless of who supplies them) in liaison with the planning supervisor? and do these need to include safety arrangements for working at height/fall arrest/protection etc(open timber framed building!!) 5) are there risk assessments/method statements for loading/unloading frames, delivery to/on site, lifting operations for frames when loading onto vehicle/on site. Does equipment employed comply with requirments for test/inspection etc (i.e cranes/lifting equipment), is there a competent banksman, are lifting operations planned in accordance with a safe system of work? 6) are there full details of all the respective and necessary CDM information posted at the site (for your information in respect of several of the above items)? and adequate first aid arrangements in the event of an accident, and fire fighting equipment in event of a fire? 7) If you are unhappy with any of the works safety requirements (perhaps after reading the above) do you know and is there available a method for liaising with the Pricipal contractor, sub-contractor, planning supervisor and/or designer over any of these issues? Food for thought