Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 May 2003 09:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew I. Butler
I have been asked the following by one of my colleages:
During summer months the warehouse operatives like to have the final exits open to allow additional ventilation into the warehouse. Is this in breach of fire regulations?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 May 2003 10:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Andrew.

As far as I am aware it is not. The only requirments I know that relate to final exits are:

1) Must be unlocked (if capable of locking) during occupation of premises

2) Must be fitted with 'push bar/handle' device if only intended as a fire exit

3) Must open outwards/in direction of travel along fire escape route
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 May 2003 16:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick
There is no reason for not using the final exit door for purposes other than the means of escape so long as it is not obstruced.

I have found unused Fire exit doors stuck fast through lack of use.
At least you know this one will work if needed.

Steve
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 May 2003 22:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Whilst the answer will be 'No', as far as Regulations are concerned, you should ensure that the open doors do not present a fire risk from, say, arson by intruders or allowing fire or smoke from a nearby fire to enter the building. I can recall a fire incident in a block of flats where a held-open final exit door allowed smoke from burning material, that had been stored nearby, to enter a stairway and then a corridor by a type of 'chimney' effect and resulted in a fatality and very considerable costs.