Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 May 2003 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris I would be grateful of clarification on the H & S law in relation to schools, in particualr teachers, teaching assistants and pupils. Whilst this is a workplace for some, it is not for others. Am I right in thinking that the HASAWA and other legislation applies in this instance? or is there other factors that need to be taken into consideration. What brought this to my mind was that I was asked a question by my wife who is a teaching assistant. Some parents have requested that sunscreen is applied to their children before they go outside. My wife's question was, should it not be applied for some reason, could the parents bring out a civil action against them? My response was that the school management should have a policy on such matters. I "trivial" issue I know, but it would interested in your views.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 May 2003 11:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kirsty Bryson The school my child attends will not apply sunscreen but ask that parents apply it to children in the morning before they go to school - the teachers are not allowed to apply the sunscreen.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 May 2003 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dyfed Rowlands I think you hit the nail on the head - they need a policy in place and prior to that, discussions should take place between the Director of Education, Legal Directorate, Headteachers, Managers etc. Pupils are not classed as employees but Local Authorities, in particular Education Directorates, do have a duty of care for them under HASAWA. Good Luck Dyfed
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 May 2003 11:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bruce Chris, Don't want to get bogged down with too much detail, believe me, school safety is a very murky pool! However, the HASAWA does apply, as does all the other legislation that you would normally expect to see applied within industry. There is lots of pertinent other stuff, refer to Jay Joshi's response to the drinking water posting, for an example! Regarding the sunscreen - dear me, another complicated thread dropping out of this one, I feel! Teachers have a responsibility to look after the kids in their care as any reasonable parent would, applying sunscreen would be the response of a reasonable parent, but just think of the implications of allergic reactions, accidental ingestion by the child, contamination of eyes, irritation etc, etc. Surely, most of the time, the kids are indoors doing silly things like learning or getting stressed with SATS! I think the advice I would give as an LEA safety adviser would be to develop a "sunny day policy", limiting exposure outdoors to times taken up with breaks, interspersed with "recovery" times indoors - lessons. Try and recommend the wearing of hats, might be an option. Obviously, this needs further thought, might sound daft, but I hadn't thought of this one - the problems on educational visits spring to mind! I'll be very interested to see how this thread develops myself. Cheers.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 May 2003 12:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Thanks for the responses so far, your views are appreciated.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 16 May 2003 12:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton The following publication is exactly what you are looking for - what's more, they have written it in plain English which helps. http://www.galaxy-h.gov....A-Sunscreens-leaflet.pdf This recommends self application where other forms of protection are not available. Both schools my kids have been to have baseball caps with neck protectors as part of the school uniform for those that want. My daughter is a red head and burns very easily but I have found this to be adequate protection most of the time for the short periods they are outside at school. Hilary
Admin  
#7 Posted : 16 May 2003 13:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Turner Thanks for the document, it will be most useful
Admin  
#8 Posted : 16 May 2003 15:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Garioch Agree about the need for a policy on the use of sunscreen. Hilary thanks for the useful web link, I have asked for it to be put on the Education SG news webpage, that way it should not get lost in the archive. Not only should there be sunscreen, schools should develop shaded areas in the playground and educate the children about the risks of skin cancer, teach the wearing of appropriate clothing ... (read HEA guidance) For school trips at my LEA, we always recommend that a spray sunscreen is taken by the group leader, because it is foreseeable that a parent/carer may forget to pack it for their child and the risk of sunburn is significantly greater than the risk of an allergic reaction. The spray method enables the sunscreen to be administered onto the pupil and allow the pupil to rub it in and thus ensure high levels of hygiene. Regards Dave Garioch Chair EdSG
Admin  
#9 Posted : 16 May 2003 16:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser I found this an interesting thread and had another consideration which has now been answered by the use of spray applications - the matter of physical contact. In these modern times I would stress the need for teachers and assistants to be VERY careful about limiting the direct contact they have with children and the danger of accusations of impropriety that may result. By spraying sun screen on and then having the child rub the solution in for themselves, this is removed, yet the liability of the school is also covered by having provided emergency protection. Not really a safety matter but just one more thing to consider.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 16 May 2003 16:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Turner Sean, an interesting, but sad point.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 16 May 2003 16:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Agreed, a sad indictment of the times in which we live.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 16 May 2003 17:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster I do sometimes wonder how the rest of us managed to survive our schooldays relatively unscathed, AND educated (and with no knee protection due to wearing shorts!!) Must be time to bring back the school cap.