Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 May 2003 22:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle I would be grateful if anyone could give advice on any available publications/papers on the integration of OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001. I have read the IOSH publication (available on this site) but would welcome further information.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 May 2003 15:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Stuart, I could send you lots of brochures on each Standard individually or on Integrated Management Systems, but I haven't got one that does a direct comparison between the two mentioned, although there is a clause comparison at the end of OHSAS 18001:1999 itself in Annex A. This is of limited use now that ISO9001:2000 becomes "mandatory" in terms of 3rd party Registration in December this year, as it still refers to the 1994 version. I'm not aware of any articles that might help. Sorry.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 May 2003 16:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi You can access the documents from the BSI website-details below. It does not provide guidance on integration,but gives the corresponding clauses. Correspondence between OHSAS 18001, ISO 14001:1996 and ISO 9001:2000 Correspondence between the clauses of the OHSAS documents and the clauses of the ILO-OSH Guidelines http://emea.bsi-global.c...dards/18001Amendment.pdf
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 May 2003 09:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Sean and Jay. Thank you for your responses. I shall take a look at the comparisson details supplied. I t would be good if someone with expertise on this subject could produce an 'intergration' document as a guide to this process, as this is where the system seems to slip a little!!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 May 2003 11:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis You do need to think out of the box a little with this. If you are not careful you simply end up with 2 similar systems but not real integration. This is the problem you will encounter with almost every claimed integration. E-mail me and we can arrange a phone conversation. I am afraid though that the accreditation bodies have some way to go to catch up as they do still try to follow a basic single system stance with links to each other Bob
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 May 2003 14:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Farrell Rob is right, you need to think a little broader than the requirements of the two standards. Do you want to 'combine' your systems or 'integrate' them into your overall business strategy and planning process? If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to e-mail me Regards Andy
Admin  
#7 Posted : 20 May 2003 14:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Oliver Shaw Hi, Look no further! The "A to Z of Integrated Management Systems" A magazine article published by IEE and IEMA in February and April 2003. Call 01925 765050 for a copy. Ollie Shaw
Admin  
#8 Posted : 22 May 2003 13:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith If you are interested in integrated management systems, have you had a look at the IOSH publication ‘Systems in focus’? There is a whole chapter on this and if you are an IOSH member, you can obtain a free hard copy. Alternatively you can download a free copy of this document from http://www.iosh.co.uk/in...echnical.resources&cid=1 on this webb-site.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 24 May 2003 17:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tom Chen Stuart, OHSAS18001 and iSO14001 use same PDCA principle, both have 17 clauses. you can incorporate as the below 4.2 EHS policy 4.3.1 identification and evaluation of Environmental aspects and hazards 4.3.2 Laws and other requirements 4.3.3 EHS Objectives and targets 4.3.4 EHS Management System 4.4.1 responsibilites and Structure 4.4.2 awareness, competence and training 4.4.3 communication 4.4.4 EHS management system documentation 4.4.5 document control 4.4.6 operational control 4.4.7 emergency response prepardness and response 4.5.1 mornitoring and measurement 4.5.2 nonconformance,corrective and preventive action 4.5.3 record 4.5.4 internal audit 4.6 Management review hope it is of help. if you need more information pls. feel free to contact me tom