Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 May 2003 13:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Carol Ross A neighbour has welded home-made spikes to the top of our dividing garden fence. Local Authority Planning Dept are not interested since it is under the required height and police say they are not worried as long as there is a warning sign. However unlike manufactured spikes which branch out into three spikes and are propably unlikely to inflict too much damage these are individual spikes about 6" long and potentially lethal. I had hoped there might be a BS or other guidance which I could use in an attempt to have then removed but have so far drawn a blank. Any advice welcome.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 May 2003 13:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Carol, Remember Civil Wrongs V criminal liability The question has to be asked is why have these been erected . If they have been erected so as to specifically 'injure' a person if they try to enter his property then if as a result that person injures themself on the spikes he may be held liable for their injuries. Do not believe that they are "criminally illegal" per say but may be illegal in the civil spheres. Would suggest that you 'in writing' inform him that any injury or damage caused to your property or visitors you would deem him wholly responsible for any damages caused. Unless a legal eagle can tell you any diffirent then that is what I would do.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 May 2003 13:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Gordon Sheet 20 - PLAY AREA FENCING Many types of fencing are available but not suitable for play area boundaries. Provision of Fencing RoSPA recommend the provision of good quality fencing to contain play areas. However, there may be constraints concerning the design or type proposed. For example where a piece of land on which a play area has been provided is deemed to be "common land" it may not be possible to contain the play area. The location of the play area (i.e. rural wooded) may restrict the use of metal fencing and conversely heavy vandalism may preclude the use of timber. Similarly, a temporary play area may also determine the quality of fencing provided. In all cases the fencing should not contain any safety hazards and RoSPA make use of the control recommendations contained in EN 1176 (the play equipment standard) when assessing fences. Functions of Fencing Fences are recommended to contain children within the relative safety of the play area (away from roads and water hazards etc.) where they may also be casually supervised by their parent(s) or guardian(s). Allied with good gates, fences serve to reduce the risk of uncontrolled dogs entering the play environment. A minimum height of 1.0m is recommended. Design and Specification Considerations Fences should be constructed and erected in accordance with the appropriate part of BS 1722. The suitability of other proprietory fence systems for the intended use should be examined prior to placing orders. Some considerations are as follows:- rigid panels may not be suitable for sloped sites the security of proprietory caps and edgings child entrapments within the fence sharp and projecting fittings the durability of materials appropriate for any anticipated vandalism and likely usage the types of preservative treatment, i.e. the pressure impregnation of timber and hot dip galvanising etc. of steel As a general rule, the best quality/largest sections of robust material(s) that can possibly be afforded at the outset should be considered thereby minimising the necessity for frequent repairs and maintenance. Areas where problems do occur are:- breakage due to inadequate wire mesh diameter or supporting wire strength Lack of top board or rail to protect upper edge of fence from damage due to climbing the use of nails alone for the assembly of timber fences and their hazardous exposure following vandalism the use of spiked railings, barbed wire and fleur-de-lys split fence pales the dismantling of fences assembled with conventional fixings inadequate posts, rails and distance between centres incorrect installation Prepared for RoSPA by Nick Adams, Engineering Design Services, 19 Liddel Way, Valley Park, Chandlers Ford, Hants. SO5 3QF. Telephone: (01703) 255237
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 May 2003 16:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Large As Dave Wilson said, they may not be illegal per say but if anyone injures themselves they can quite easily sued this person for personal injury compensation, loss of earnings, uninsured losses and anything else they can throw at them. Even if the person injured was attempting unlawful entry / trespassing at the time they can still sue them silly. This goes for anything that is obviously an injury based deterrent e.g. dangerous spikes, glass embedded on the tops of walls etc.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 May 2003 21:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker You don't say how high up they are, could you fall onto them? Whose fence is it? You might need to check the deeds to confirm. If it's yours, threaten "damages" for their removal. If it's his, erect a 7ft 11 inch (8ft requires planning permission) fence immediately in front just inside your boundary. Before erection paint his "side" the most hidious colour you can find and warn him if he touches it you'll claim damages. This might backfire as that mad irish gardener is most likely using this colour, and it is the latest fashion statement.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 02 June 2003 09:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Large Or buy a job lot of corks to place on each spike. They should hopefully get the idea.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 02 June 2003 10:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis If this had been a boundary with public access then I seem to remember that the LA does have a duty to act. If as it seems this is between your gardens then the only rights you have are if it is your boundary fence defined in the deeds. It is still possible that this has been erected by your neighbour other to warn on his land and you then need to erect your own fence as described previously. Don't bother to warn him of liability just make sure it goes straight to claim!! There are I am afraid a lot of people who are totally unconcerned with others and feel they have a total right to protect their property in any way they wish. I do remember from somewhere that at around 2.4 metre you can erect even an electric fence providing it is signed - this applies in public access areas also. I sympathise with you and wish there was a solution without the need for court action in the event of injury. Our laws however are designed to punish transgressors and not prevent transgression. Bob
Admin  
#8 Posted : 02 June 2003 11:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Appleton May be worth your while reading up on the Party Wall Act. It requires notification / consultation for a range of works to adjoining walls in attached homes and also covers shared boundary walls. I’m not sure, but it may well cover boundary fences as well. You can view the Act on the HMSO web page. If you are a member of IOSH, why not use the legal helpline and speak to someone who deals with neighbour disputes.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 02 June 2003 12:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster As someone who is also involved in "neighbourly discourse" over a boundary wall...! I presume from your posting that the neighbour is another domestic property, like yours. Firtly you must be clear from the deeds about who's fence this is and where the boundary lies. If the fence is along the boundary then it is usually in shared ownership. Both property owners are then jointly liable for its upkeep, and changes cannot be made without agreement. Often, owners are responsible for maintaining only the boundary on one side or the other. If the fence is built along the neighbours's side of the boundary, it is his and within planning constraints he can just about do as he pleases. There is little you can do about potential danger to you and yours until such time as something happens - then you can sue the pants off him. Obviously it helps if you have evidence he was warned of the danger. To take out an injunction/interdict you would have to be able to prove that the injunction/interdict was necessary. Other correspondents have noted that a fence (including any spikes!) can be up to 8 feet high without planning permission. I don't have the data in front of me, but this is reduced - I think to 4 feet, when within a certain distance of a road and/or if it projects beyond the building line. So that may be worth checking out with your local authority. If however the fence is on your side of the boundary, it is yours, and you are now the proud owner of a row of spikes which have been abandoned on your property. (Of course, it may be that you are just a nasty viscious person who keeps wild animals and uncontrollable children in his garden, and has designs on his neighbour's ass, wife etc.....)
Admin  
#10 Posted : 02 June 2003 12:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Sorry, Carol Easy to loose track of the name of the original poster. Of course I should have written HER garden etc, (and you are probably not therefore interested in your neighbours wife). Seriously, these disputes usually just drag on without either side "winning" until one or the other side moves.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 02 June 2003 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Carol. As this is a domestic fence between two properties, the only requirements that I belive would apply are planning consent (re height restrictions) and access to maintain the fence (repairs, painting ect). If the fence had been ajoining a public right of way there may still not have been an issue, depending on the fence height and its distance from the public highway or public right of way, as the highways act 1980 only makes direct reference to 'barbed wire' and not spikes. Obviously the height of the fence will determine what level of risk is involved in anyone injuring themselves on the spikes (hazard) positioned on top of the fence. I would presume that the fence is roughly 6 feet tall and therefore the risk of injury (under normal emjoyment use of your garden is minimal (you are not planning to climb the fence are you?) so I further presume that your interest is mainly one of general concern for those who might (children and possibly burglars) and the general apprearance of the fence (with the spikes). As the Police have stated, a warning notice attached to warn of the risk of injury from attempting to access any property ajoining the fence would be beneficial to offset any civil proceedings for injury (from yourself on behalf of children or by a person perhaps trying to climb the fence for no good reason (burglar?), but it could be pointed out perhaps to your neighbour that there are alternatives to 6" metal spikes (and ruddy great high visibility signs!!), such as non-drying paint and plastic spikes (originally to deter birds from sitting on fences but jolly good at detering climbing as well, which may be just as good a deterent but offer a safer method of protection. The neighbourhood watch also state that making the top of a fence fragile enough to collapse if climbed, such as a trelice type structure, also makes for a good deterent as it would be obvious to most it would break (and be noisy!!) if anyone were to climb over it!! There have been a number of cases of 'unauthorised persons' injuring themselves in premises where they are not supposed to be, who have then brought successful civil claims against the owners/occupiers of the premises for their injuries. Like all fence disputes, this could run the risk of developing into a neighbour war, so be careful and ensure you approach your neighbour with dilligence and tact... Hope you get a result....
Admin  
#12 Posted : 02 June 2003 13:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Carol Ross Thanks to all for the responses and suggestions. I think it is propably a shared fence since the original was put up by the council and he has added to it(by increasing height and of course the spikes). Height is about 2 metres but just far enough away from the road to be outwith requiring planning permission. I think I shall try having a word with his wife since I have spoken to him with no success but then we are not what you could call bosom buddies and failing that I think perhaps some of that quick growing hedges that can cause disputes between neighbours but at least they are nicer to look at than rusty spikes. And I shall have a read of the Party Wall Act to see if that offers anything.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 02 June 2003 13:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Carol, Good idea, as an ex EHO, you would be surprised at the amount of time, distress and effort which could be spared if people only talked to each other. This person may not even know what your feelings are about this so go forth and chat or put a wooden fence up right next to his and grow climbing plants on it!
Admin  
#14 Posted : 02 June 2003 14:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Miller having read some of the response which I found quite amusing, Check with your local planning department. As a local authority building technician it is my understanding that 1.75m for a perimeter fence is the limit without permission. Also do check your lease as boundaries usually are a joint responsability between joining properties, This would mean that you should have at least been consulted. Wrought iron fencing has become very popular recently and is now popping up in and around public areas (boundaries between private & public) In reality I doubt that there is much you can do. You can not sue untill an injury or damage took place and litigation is pricey. It takes nothing to upset neighbours these days and as rightly quoted some people have no concern for others what so ever. One final thought! if the property is council owned you will have more success in doing something about it other than if it is privately owned. That is because of the anti social behavior laws. Local authorities have the power to force an action against a tenant who is acting or demonstrating anti social behavior on council owned property or land. They can force its removal within a certain time. If no permission was sought or granted, If it poses a threat or danger to the public or other tenants. They will receive a letter informing them that their tenancy is at risk if they do not comply. I have seen this law in action and have witnessed evictions for anti social behavior not only of tenants but for their children who cause a havock to others in residence. This only protects tenants in council/housing association property, if you are owner occupier there is no such protection. (Yet) I say yet because a bill has had its first reading and is winging its way to Statute as we write. This will be an extention of this act that will afford us the same protection. Good luck and don't litigate at any cost.