Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 June 2003 11:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Whaley We have recently ordered a scissor lift, I would like to know if there are any required or expected safety devices, or do we carry out a risk assessment and take it from there. The HSE web site seems short of advice on this subject. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks David
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 June 2003 12:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson David Starting from the basics of PUWER, i trust that you have ordered a scissor lift that is suitable for the purpose, with regard to the work conditions and associated risk while the lift is being used. You will also need to ensure that it is only utilised by personnel trained and approved to use it and that unauthorised personnel are prevented (lock away the keys). The CE marked machine and processess that require it should be risk assessed, as per management regs, but if you have not checked on the suitability of the machine BEFORE buying it you could have made an expensive mistake. For example, if your staff will need to lean out over the rail will you be requiring them to wear safety harnesses and have tested shackle points been fitted?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 June 2003 12:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bruce David, I've e-mailed you directly.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 June 2003 13:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Scissor lifts come under LOLER, this means they need proof load testing, a certificate of load test, safe working loads marked and they need to be examined at regular intervals to ensure their integrity. For lifting equipment you need to keep the original certificate plus the examination certificates for life plus 2 years. You will find all the information you need under the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998. Hilary
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 June 2003 13:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley David, Suggest you look at getting your appointed operators trained by a Lifting & Access training provider who is accredited by I.P.A.F (International Powered Access Federation). Regards Bob
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 June 2003 09:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor These are a type of 'mobile elevating work platform' and so you may find generic references in literature under this heading that will apply to your scissor lift. A copy of CITB publication GE700/29 would be useful (ie includes references, check-list, Beaufort scale, etc) - but it is in need of revision to include references to LOLER.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 05 June 2003 19:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Crump What will the lift be used for?. is it of the common type that are used for raising and lowering assemblies.We use a scissor table at my site for lowering and lifting small assemblies from beneath trains. We are looking at purchasing a bellows that prevents the shear trap hazard when the table is raised and lowered.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 05 June 2003 21:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick David with any type of mobile plant like this I always get the manual and have Safe Working Procedures and maintenance procedures typed up from it. These can also be used to in any training given ie the external provider will also train them to your site rules This is easy to do by simply using a highlighter pen to highlight the bits of the manual you need to formulate the site procedures for the operators. Also you understand a bit more about the kit yourself and the safety devices that are on it. If you are using it inside the factory make sure you have a good assessment of the floors it will be allowed to operate on. I had one tip over while at full extension as it rested on a floorplate approx 9" wide by 30" long. We found that the plate was only supported on 3 sides and had been like that for 10 years with FLTs running over it without a problem
Admin  
#9 Posted : 06 June 2003 10:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Luke Dam I'd agree with other response regarding the Risk Assessment, but better again may be the Job Safety Analysis of the tasks being undertaken.... Out of interest- are you required to wear safety harness in yours? (I'm from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia and at the moment we don't have to, but have new Regulations due out this year that will specify the requirement...
Admin  
#10 Posted : 06 June 2003 20:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick Yes, people in access platforms should wear harness. I think restraint belts may also be acceptable. regards Steve