Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 June 2003 14:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Bower I'm looking for an 'automatic' reminder system for DSE users just to prompt them to adopt good practice when using workstations. Something that regularly (say weekly) reminds users of particular issues e.g. sitting correctly, adjusting the relevant bits and pieces etc. means we can try and make sure all users have access to the same information. I've seen something like this in the past but can't for the life of me remember where. Anybody know what I'm on about or more importanly know where I might be able to find something? Thanks Stuart
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 June 2003 14:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Do you use an e-mail system that you can programme to send out messages weekly? Perhaps you could programme in reminder statements like "are you taking your regular breaks" or "are you sitting up properly" whatever fits your environment. If they are users then presumably they will see the messages pop up. Suggest a one liner if you have a notification box as people tend to ignore messages if they see a title, whereas if the title itself is the message - big 'no option' view on that one. Hilary
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 June 2003 17:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft There is one by a company called Posturite Tel: 01323 847 777 the product is called PauseRite and an evaluation copy can be downloaded from their website www.posturitesoftware.co.uk/pauserite/
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 June 2003 19:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Miller When I worked at Newcastle council we draughted a document for the benefit of all DSE users. this was placed at every work station. Then some time later we were developing a new computer system in conjuntion with Newcastle University. I asked the same question 'can this be put on the new system as a constant reminder. The answer was yes! It is now on the start up and when a user logs on it is now in full view every time as part of the log in process. Also it is on the screen saver so when the operator takes a break it is there again when they return. Hope this is helpfull Mike
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 June 2003 01:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Stuart. We use a system called 'workpace' that we aquired and installed on all users systems. This monitors the use of the keyboard, mouse etc in real-time whilst the equipment is in use and can be programmed for indivual users. The programme reports on all users, even down to how many keyboard strikes are made and provides a wealth of information as well as windows (small) that 'pop-up' for what are know as 'micro-breaks' and also provides information on exercises that you can do etc. Their web site is located at: www.workpace.com (Australian) We have found this programme to be very useful, got good feedback from employees and it is not particularly intrusive...
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 June 2003 08:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone We are using a company called Cardinus to give us a intranet based package that will train our staff and carry out assessments. All the details are fed into a database that then sends out emails to remind staff to carry out the course, finish it etc. They have a website on www.cardinus.com. Extra packages can be added on such as Manual Handling, Fire and First Aid Hope this helps Ian