Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 June 2003 12:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen I've been asked to do some risk assessments on our site for the forklift drivers role and was wondering if anyone could offer me any guidance as to the type of things that I should take into consideration. I've done risk assessments before, but not recently and never with internal transport.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 June 2003 14:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Jason, Get yourself a copy of 'Workplace Transport Safety' from the HSE. It will provide you with some useful guidance when carrying out your assessment. Regards, Paul Craythorne
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 June 2003 18:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Appleton Hi Jason, Tracking down the relevant guidance will highlight the potential hazards & effective control measures, but you also need to grab yourself some FLT Operators & sit down with them to write your assessment. You can provide the technical expertise in writing the assessment while the Operators will provide valuable insight into how the machines are used, the range of tasks they encounter & particular problems / hazards they face. Involving those who will eventually have to follow the assessment has a number of advantages such as; It kicks off your consultation process It provides a more accurate / realistic assessment People are more likely to follow an assessment that they have helped to formulate Gets more people thinking about H&S I would also split the task of operating FLT into key elements, eg, operating FLT inside / outside, refuelling / re-charging batteries, stacking material, reversing etc & cover the hazards, those at risk, risk rating, control measures etc for each element.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 June 2003 08:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen Thanks for the replies. It's pretty much what I thought but just wanted to make sure, having little experience with FLT's. I agree with the point about splitting the risk assessment into areas. The use across the site is far to wide and varied to be accomodated in a single assessment. Therefore I'd decided to split it into sections such as travelling around the site (to identify general hazards such as designated routes and condition of the road surface etc), then break it down into the individual areas that they operate and the task that they do in those areas. Thanks once again. If anyone has any more good suggestions please feel free to comment.