Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 June 2003 10:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young An employee approaches the entrance to a building. At the same time as he puts a foot on the entrance step, he turns round to greet a colleague. This action causes him to slip, lose his balance and fall. He puts his hand out to break the fall and as a result lands on his wrist, breaking the scaphoid. He is subsequently off work for 2 weeks. Is it reportable under RIDDOR?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 June 2003 10:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft Ron I would say that if it happened whilst at work and the employee was going about his normal duties, then it happened in conection with work and so it is RIDDOR reportable. Ian
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 June 2003 10:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Broken bone in the hand or feet is not reportable. But was this on company premises (do the steps belong to the company?) if so then it is reportable on the over 3 day rule. If not he would be a member of the public who was injured and was taken to hospital then reportable on that basis. So are the steps yours? if yes report if no then don't.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 June 2003 10:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young I should add that this event happened as the employee was commencing his working day.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 June 2003 10:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft Ron, I would still say reportable. Dave, any fracture other than fingers, thumbs or toes is reportable as a major injury so I think that hands or feet would be, but it would be an over-3-day injury anyway. Ian
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 June 2003 11:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Think the main thing is that the steps are in good condition and do not present a trip hazard to others, may be worthwhile taking a few pictures as they may come in handy in the future, say within 3 years?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 13 June 2003 12:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Thanks to all who responded. Dave your comments were in line with my thoughts on this, i.e. our property our problem. PS the stairs are in good condition but photos will be taken anyway Ron