Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 June 2003 17:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By A Fergusson I have a member of staff who would like to record an accident that happened over two years ago but less than three. I am happy to do this but do not accept that the accident took place. This will be I fear the subject of an impending claim, I have no record of any incident and infact it was with previous owners of the business. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any advice, should I even let the "incident be recorded?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 June 2003 17:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Miller I have e-mailed you direct one this one
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 June 2003 18:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack I'm not sure you can stop someone making an entry in the 'accident book'. However, your investigation will no doubt record your lack of evidence that it occurred, that there was no report at the time etc. They could report it on a BI 95 but you would again be required to investigate it.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 June 2003 21:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick Tell the potential claimant not to insult your intelligence. Explain that s/he should know the rule on reporting all accidents (report on the day of the accident)and it sounds to you that s/he is attempting to defraud the company. If s/he wishes to pursue this matter further you will arrange for her/him to interviewed on the matter with the HR Manager or some other senior manager and yourself to determine the facts. Also explain that anyone found making false statements in any accident investigation would face serious disciplinary action. If this person has any sense they will go away. If you do not do something like this your insurer will have to pay the cheat and they wont be too happy about your reporting and investigation procedures. If you lose this one there will be others. Have a look back on this chat forum there was a thread about accident books and accident reporting about 6 weeks ago. Regards Steve
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 June 2003 14:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott We have a statement in our HASPOL regarding Accidents as follows; 'ALL accidents resulting in personal injury must be recorded in the Company Accident Book. This is located on the first aid room and contains information which must be recorded by law. Any accident not entered in the Accident Book or reported to a manager in accordance with this Policy within 24hrs, the Company will note that an occurance has taken place but will not necessarliy accept liability' This also briefed at Induction and during other training sessions if based on accident and incident reporting held a regular intervals. It appears to me that this person is hedging his bets and it needs to be nipped in the bud early or the claim culture will flourish. As already stated by others, it would be impossible to investigate unless there was a witness to the accident that is available and who is reliable! Best of luck!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 June 2003 14:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton I do agree that this sounds a little suspicious. There would be no reason for putting this in the book retrospectively unless a claim was imminent. Suggest you go through the interview process with the HR person and/or the persons Manager, that way your report following investigation will show that there is no way to prove this was a work related incident. Best advice I can give is to cover every angle. I do not think that your employee will have a leg to stand on legally which is as good a reason as any for having an accident book which is a one piece item as it has to be filled in sequentially and this will obviously be totally out of synch.