Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 June 2003 12:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West Has anyone considered reveiwing their risk assessments in veiw of the impaired visibility/ability of hay fever sufferers during the summer months? Does anyone have a policy on this subject? Yesterday the pollen count was the highest it has been in a decade. Living with someone who suffers from Hay Fever I can see that visibility and consentration are markedly affected. Any thoughts? Kev
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 June 2003 13:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Terri Cox I can sympathise with your suggestion, as a sufferer myself I have been bothered for the first time in years. It is certainly something that could potentially increase risks in specific areas such as manufacturing, working with plant/machinery, driving etc. A point to also consider is that quite a lot of the over the counter medication can cause drowsiness and have affects when mixed with alcohol. I would recommend that employers make themselves aware of where risks may be increased and of those workers who are affected and ensure that they are alert to any medication that could also affect the risks within their workplace.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 June 2003 13:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West Terri, I agree completely. Does anyone actually do this? If they dont, what could the consequences be (if any) should.... a, an Insector call? and b, someone is injured as a result of the Hay Fever sufferer's reduced ability/concentration etc either as a result of the symptons or the medication? Also should a person be unfit for work due to Hay Fever what are the possible courses of action available to the employer? Kev
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 June 2003 13:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw This should be something that is covered through your Occupational Health info to employees. When you take staff on you should be telling them in your H&S induction to notify their manager of any change in their health condition which affects their ability to work and if they are on any medication prescribed or otherwise. It is hard to assess how bad someones hayfever is as it can be mild, but also extreme on occasions. Also the medication available over the counter affects people to differing degrees. Supervision should also come into the equation with supervisors aware of the potential problems in areas of risk eg FLT drivers and assessing as circumstances arise.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 June 2003 16:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West Sarah, Again I agree with you. Should the Supervisor surmise that the operator is so badly affected by the hay fever or medication, what can he legally do? Can he send him home? Will the operator get paid for this? Also, if the operator fails to notify his employer (as is probably the norm) and an accident ensues (where the symptoms are contributal to the accident)what are the consequences? Even if, upon employment, employees are requested to inform the employer of a change in health etc how many actually do? Especially in industries where sick pay isnt paid (apart from SSP).