Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 June 2003 16:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Have a guy who's a Housekeeper at my Hospital and as per the Schedule of PPE he needs to wear safety shoes. He has special needs and can't tie up laces. Just found out that his supervisor hasn't supplied them for a year, citing cost and the bespoke nature of velcro fastenings i.e. the shoes need to be specially made. To save time in getting a pair for this guy(if they exist!) does anyone know of a supplier who routinely sells such things. Regards
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2003 16:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton What about slip-on shoes, presumably this would be OK. There is a good range of shoes, slip-on, clogs, wellies!?! and all sorts at Arco. The South East Branch number is 01689 875411 or you could probably find them on the web. Hilary
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2003 19:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Bryn foundery workers wear specail safety boots with quick on/off clips. if the hot metal gets down yer wellies you want em off quick ! Merv Newman
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 June 2003 09:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Louise Ward I believe that totectors have both velcro fastenings and slip on shoes in their range. Louise
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 June 2003 09:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Gordon Bryn e-mailed you direct with details.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 June 2003 09:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anon Have you thougt about slip ons, thay are readily available from PPE suppliers.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 20 June 2003 11:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett If all the above fail, a mate of mine with special needs gets shoelaces that tie themselves - honest! They have some sort of elastic in them that springs tight when it's pulled. Might be nice for your chap, as my friend said that when he got his it was the first time in his life he'd been able to put on his own shoes. I can ask him for the details if you like.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 20 June 2003 12:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Thanks to all, now have enough contacts and will sort something out soon. Hi Zoe, How're things? Yes I have my own pair of non tie laces that come in extremely handy after a night on the Chateau de Chasselet (any one remember THAT sketch?)Bought them on the market for 99p and it's an option I'll talk about with my Housekeeper. Apologies from being bereft of ideas on the new team front apart from ....... H & S Team? Nah! On second thoughts if you call yourselves that , no-one will call ..... but hey! maybe that's a good reason to adopt that name. Just think, you may NEVER be called by a dullard teacher again because you know how averse / ignorant / petrified they are of all things H & S!