Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 June 2003 09:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Vintner
We have had an inspection of our cranes at one of our sites. The inspector has indicated that the man riding basket arrangement with respect to lifting points is illegal because we have a central attachment point on what is effectively the roof and not a 4 leg spread. I believe the arrangement complies. I have asked him to support his findings with either BS or legislation but has yet to come back to me.

Anyone out there have advice on this one.

Pete
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 June 2003 10:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By P Hocking
Pete

There appears to be no specification that details 4 legged spreads as against that what you have described. In principal I can see nothing fundamentally wrong with the design and is a matter of choice as long as the design of the structure and the structure is of adequate strength and fit for purpose and the normal standards of daily visual and six monthly thorough examinations are in place.

There is a European draft for Conformity to European Normalization (CEN) for the above but as yet it is not been published.

Hope this clarifies things. I would be interested to see the crane inspectors findings when or if he gets back to you

Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 June 2003 12:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Why oh why oh why do we H&S people keep on referring to law this law that, thats illegal etc.

Think this 'inspector' (of what?)has no legal standing and should be asked to clarify his thought process as to the actual statute he is referring too.

Problem now is that this person has probably gone down in your estimation and you will now be spending time questioning and challenging everything he says and a real safety risk may be missed.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 June 2003 09:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Campbell
Peter,
Was this not a recommendation maybe?

I have no paper trail for you to follow, but man riding is used extensively in the offshore industry.
I'd look at maybe a more stable approach to swinging, twisting ect... control in windy conditions maybe?? Just a thought you may want to consider.
More work for inspection of lifting poits and spreader ect I know!... but as I said, seems to be standard in my ex industry.

Regards
Tony