Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 June 2003 14:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe Carreira We have UK staff regularly working in laboratories in the USA and conversely, US staff working in UK Labs. I have been asked the following question: " Are US prescription safety glasses to ANSI standards acceptable in the UK and are UK EN standard glasses acceptable in USA?" I would be most interested in your views. Thanks, Joe
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 June 2003 16:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt I cannot give a direct answer, but some manufacturers declare their products to conform to both BS EN 166 and ANSI Z87.1. Many suppliers' catalogues give a summary of the impact resistance (i.e. the ball size and the speed of impact), so if you do some rooting around you can probably get a direct comparison. To start you off, I gave a summary of the EN166 classification in an answer to the 'eye protection in engineering machine shop' thread. I don't have the details of ANSI Z87.1. Jane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2003 09:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson Joe Surely the issue is simple - does the eye protection adequately protect against the hazard? Whether the glasses are certified by BSI, ANSI or Mickey Mouse is not the issue, the issue is whether they are designed and approved for protection against the hazard.