Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 June 2003 15:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone Im looking for info on how other people present their accident statsitics to management and H&S Committees. At present we give them set out on a spreadsheet by Team and listed is 11 types of accidents (eg. cuts, burns, slips chemicals etc). The members get one spreadsheet for staff, one for students etc. They want lots of info but I am wondering if I can find a way to make it easier to read and better tl look at. Any help would be great Ian
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 June 2003 15:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton I do this but also in a graphical format, usually using a column graph in excel. This I plot from year to year to show trends. Mind you, we don't have a lot of accidents so this might not work for you.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2003 17:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott Ian, replied direct with, hopefully, useful documents!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 June 2003 08:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley Ian, One different way I have used is to present stats in the traditional accident triangle. (majors, minors and near misses). This way you can emphasies the importance of reporting. A steep narrow base can suggest under reporting where as a wide base suggests a healthy attitude to reporting. Bob
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 July 2003 11:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond We have non-existant IT facilities in our organisation, so I've had to go back to paper instead of environmentally friendly electrons! I've just put together a new incident/accident statistics sheet for managers. Each row is labelled with a hazard such as manual handling, electicity, aggression - I use hazards rather than injuries so that it links back to improving risk assessments. There's about 25 hazards on the sheet. Each column is headed with the severity level - such as 'near miss', over-3day, major... I've also put some rows at the bottom for totalling RIDDOR, and numbers of accidents to employees, public, contractors etc. There is an extra column for time-of-work from accidents for each hazard. There is also an extra box for work-related stress sickness absence.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 July 2003 19:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Ian, I never try to bother senior managers too much with detail. They are much more interested in trends, and this is how you can get to them. Are we trending up or down on lti, riddor, hand injuries or whatever. I prefer to give them just the broad information but have ALL of the details to hand, in case of questions. In fact the presentation should stimulate questions. And interest. And enthusiasm. and action (if required) An extra point, which some may dispute - I always try to find something positive to say "the monthly increase in lti rate is now slowing to less than catastrophic levels" This is a bit psychological but, if you can only give bad news people switch off - more of the same old same old. If you can find a way to tell them that they are at least getting something right in the SHE area, then they are more psychologically inclined to hear you. Best regards Merv Newman