Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 June 2003 11:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Hogarth
Can anyone point me in the direction of a Code of Practice, Guidance note etc for cold store work ( -25C Food Industry)

Regards,

Malcolm
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 June 2003 13:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott
HS(G) 76 H&S in retail and wholesale warehouses has a section on cold stores - general, safeguards and precautions or HS(G) 194 Thermal Comfort in the workplace.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2003 16:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Hogarth
I found a reference in HSG 76 (Health and safety in retail and wholesale warehouses)but am looking for specific guidance on durations that persons can work in the cold?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 June 2003 17:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Daniel
I don't think you will find any definitive standards. The Inuit Indians, Scott, Shackleton and others have proved that with the right equipment and in Shackleton's case sometimes without it, long term survival by human beings at these temperatures is possible.

When I worked in British Leyland/Rover, our research staff, working in coldrooms at temperatures down to -40 and in some cases in chilled windtunnels were subject to a 20 minute maximum exposure (if I recall correctly) and had an annual medical.

I guess that with the right PPE, especially these days when heated suits etc can be obtained, exposure periods are less of a problem. Perhaps a PPE assessment would be a good first step.

I do not think medical surveillance is very prevalent in coldroom working, but since there are circulatory and other conditions which could be exacerbated by cold room working I would suggest that this is a more worthwhile avenue of exploration.

Good luck

Dave Daniel
Technical Director
Practical Risk Management Ltd