Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 June 2003 11:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson I have a customer with a small gym, and on one wall there are four large mirrors, which look like they have been attached with some sort of adhesive, which can be seen as a kind of grouting between the mirrors. I'm imagining that a user of the gym could bash the glass accidentally, and so I guess the glass needs to be to a certain standard. The question is, what standard, and what else should I consider? There doesn't seem to be any indication on the glass that it meets any particular standard. It looks fairly thick, but I guess the important thing is the way it breaks?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 June 2003 12:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Bingley Try BS 6206 and / or BS 6262
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 June 2003 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson Thanks, Chris. I don't actually have access to these standards. If there is no indication on the mirror, do I have to assume the glass is not up to standard?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 June 2003 13:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip Roberts Neil, If you cannot determine the intergral safety of the glass it can be made safer by the use of pastic type film.Film such as that used for anti glare on windows would prevent the glass shattering in case of accidental damage, Regards Phil Roberts
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 June 2003 14:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Williams Neil If you E Mail me your postal address I will send you the BS info concerning your query. Regards Stuart
Admin  
#6 Posted : 30 June 2003 15:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Turner Chris, Have you tried contacting the Glazing and Glass Federation? regards Chris T
Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 June 2003 15:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson Thank you all for your responses. I like the idea of the film covering the mirrors. This sounds like the approach used with bottles of some chemicals, which are often coated in plastic so that broken glass (and the chemical) are contained. Anyone ever come across anything designed specifically for protection from broken glass? If not, I'll suggest my customer approaches some normal suppliers of window films. I hadn't approached the trade body - I really should have thought of that myself - one black mark to me!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 30 June 2003 16:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan I may be wrong but I am sure you can get plastic mirrors now i.e. plastic/perspex sheet with a reflective plastic layer. These will negate the need for glass. Sorry i don't know a source. There must be a standard for toughened glass mirrors as I have seen these used in some diy wardrobes that have large sliding doors.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 01 July 2003 09:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Louise Ward Hi Neil Window film companies now market products specifically designed to retain broken window glass in a blast situation. Many City buildings now have this installed as one of the major causes of injury in the Bishopsgate bomb was flying glass. A product like this should do the job for you, without affecting the surface of the mirror. Louise
Admin  
#10 Posted : 02 July 2003 10:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Assessment is required for glass windows and transparent or translucent doors, gates and walls under the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 and generally under the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999. The Glass and Glazing Association have a leaflet explaining the British Standards and you will see that thickness, size and position are factors as well as whether glass is laminated or toughened. Where installed glass isn't kite-marked or otherwise marked to indicate that it has been toughened to meet the BS, it may be cut laminated glass. If you cannot see the exposed edge to detect the plastic in the glass 'sandwich', you can measure the thickness. This is on the basis that annealed glass is manufactured in standard thicknesses (eg 3mm, 4mm, etc) whereas laminated glass will have a 'more than standard thickness' (eg 6.3mm consisting of 2x 3mm glass sheets and 0.3 mm of plastic and adhesive). Sharples Engineering do an expensive safety glass indicator kit for those who are really serious - or there is a folded piece of cardboard with a scale printed in mirror-writing for those trying to measure installed glass thickness with access to one side only.