Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 July 2003 21:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Glyn Phillips Re: reduction of the Benzene MEL to 1ppm. Whilst every effort has, and continues to be made to identify sources and pathways of exposure to Benzene vapour I forsee the situation where one of our employees will exceed the MEL. COSHH tells me that I must inform the employee of any exposure over the MEL or OES. I need to draft a procedure that covers the actions required in the event of a MEL being exceeded. This has the possibility of becoming a legal minefield. Does anybody have experience of this situation? Guidelines seem vague at best. Any information would be useful.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 July 2003 08:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Glyn How will you know when the MEL has been exceeded? Do you intend to do, or have you already done, extensive monitoring of personal exposures? Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 July 2003 08:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Glyn It is not just the MEL that is of concern here. Benzene is a category 1 carcinogen, so it is essential that you meet all the requirements of regulation 7 of COSHH. Regards Jane
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 July 2003 09:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton You could try contacting Huntsman Polyurethanes, they actually have a nitrobenzene plant and may be able to help. They are located in Wilton, Redcar, fax No. 01642 834993. Hilary