Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2003 10:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Wilkins The old house next door to ours is being renovated (well, re-built maybe more accurate) over many months or years by self-employed guy who also lives there. Whilst I believe that the end result will be fine - he has renovated one house in the village already - I am concerned about the safety of the scaffolding he has erected along two of the walls. To my untrained eye it does not appear to meet CIS49 and there is no protection against anything falling on the public road or onto our house. Am I correct in thinking that The Construction (H S & W) Regulations 1996 apply as much to one-man builder as to anyone else? I don't have a copy of the regs but I have a copy of the guide to them (indg220.pdf). Presumably if I am not happy with the safety aspects of his methods then the next step is to talk to the local HSE office? Looking for any guidance as to the best way to proceed, Simon
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2003 10:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan Yes if he's self employed but have you tried talking to him first?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 July 2003 14:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Wilkins I meant to say that I will be talking to him before I do anything else, but he's disappeared for a few days since putting it up.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 July 2003 15:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Mains So he has put up the scaffolding and then disappeared - sounds like normal practice for your average builder!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 July 2003 19:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie Whilst I agree that H&S legislation applies to the one man builder just as much as a larger contractor. It may not apply to him when he is working on his own domestic property. However, he still has fulfil his duties under civil law not to put others in danger.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 July 2003 22:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Miller No matter if the regs apply to him or not, he has a duty to protect the general public. Speak to him first and if no change I would suggest you speak to your local building control department. If any danger exists they will serve him with a building notice. Mike
Admin  
#7 Posted : 16 July 2003 09:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor If material, etc falls onto the public highway, you could also contact the relevant highway authority who could serve notices, fence off the area and charge him with the cost, etc.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 16 July 2003 11:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Wilkins Thanks to all for the various suggestions. Simon