Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2003 16:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael D Clarke Looking for opinions of pro's and con's of which system is quicker/more reliable to ensure complete evacuation, fire wardens sweep or roll call?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2003 17:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House Hi Michael I would suggest that the answer to your question very much depends on the layout of your premises, and/ or the amount of people on site at any one time. For example, if you are on a large site, with several buildings, then a fire wardens sweep would be better, as a fire (or other threat) in one building, may not necessarily lead to all buildings needing to be evacuated. Therefore, if a person who normally resides in the building being evacuated happens to be in another building when the alarm goes off, a roll call would list him as missing (and potentially trapped in the building), which could mean that the emergency services could potentially carry out a search for someone who is perfectly safe in another building! Conversely, if you operate in a small building, with only 2 or 3 offices, and everyone knows everyone else, then a roll call may well be quicker. I hope I haven't rambled on too much, and that you find this of some use. Regards Nick.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 July 2003 22:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By shaun mckeever Michael I agree entirely with Nick's response but I would also add one more consideration, that is the ratio of fire wardens to the size of workforce. One fire warden trying to do a roll call of one thousand people is obviously wrong. I would normally recommend one fire warden per 25 people plus sufficient deputies to cover for absences e.g. lunch time, holiday, sickness etc. Best regards Shaun
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2003 08:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis For me there are 2 separate roles - Fire Wardens sweep an area while Fire Marshals take a roll call at assembly points. Even in small premises it can be difficult to know everybody is out as visitors can easily be overlooked. Just to confuse the issue!!!!!!!!! Bob
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2003 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor As the others have indicated, you will need to decide what system best suits your own particular circumstances. By way of example, we evacuate all school site buildings and do class and work-group roll-calls (as people could have been almost anywhere in any building and the 'sweep' method would take 'ages' - whereas the 'sweep' method is more suitable for office buildings (where no-one may know whether someone was in or out at the time and some staff might even decide to find their own 'alternative assembly point')
Admin  
#6 Posted : 16 July 2003 09:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael D Clarke Your opinons are much appreciated thankyou. Is anyone aware if the HSE or Fire Brigade have an offical point of view on the matter? It is difficult to build an argument without somekind of evidence for the effectiveness of fire wardens sweep.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 16 July 2003 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House Hi Michael It might be worthwhile having a chat with your local Fire Officer. He will more than likely be glad to offer any advice that you may require, and can even offer recommendations tailored to your premises requirements. Regards Nick.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 16 July 2003 18:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By shaun mckeever Michael I posted a brief message earlier. I am from the fire service. There is no particular method that the fire service recommends above another. It is what works for you. I personally prefer the sweep method. If the sweep is done correctly then there should be no part of the building not checked so unless someone doubles back you should be confident that the building is clear. Incidentally, to the person who evacuates the school premises - I often do training of school staff and one of the questions I put to them is what would their action be if a child was missing at roll call? Try putting that to your school staff and see what answers you get. I find many feel under greater pressure to re-enter a building to search for the missing child. Best regards Shaun
Admin  
#9 Posted : 16 July 2003 18:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi I have included an extract from:- "Fire risk management in the workplace : a guide for employers fromthe Fire Protection Association in the Loss Prevention Council's Library of Fire Safety; volume 5" It states:- On reaching the assembly point, the fire warden should report to the chief fire warden, or the designated fire safety official, that their area is clear of people. This is by far the best way of ensuring that the premises have been completely evacuated. The older practice of having a roll-call at the assembly point is of little value in a large organisation. The apparent absence of a particular member of staff does not necessarily indicate that they are still in the building; it could be that they were out to lunch, out on company business or simply absent from work on that day. Having ushered their charges to the assembly point, the fire wardens should ensure that they remain there until the fire officer in charge gives permission for staff to re-enter the building. Ultimately, you have to decide what is the best for you--all that the fire authority is interested in and the legal requirement is your system for:- 1) evacuation 2) in responding to the the fire brigade when it arrives whether there is any person unaccounted for--this is vital as the course of action they will take depends upon this! The sweep system is more reliable and not subject to human error. A roll-call system is dependent upon having an accurate list.