Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 July 2003 16:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt This seems to have gone quiet. I thought it would have been used a lot more than it is. Any reasons for this? Eric
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 July 2003 02:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer Think of a provocative thread and post it in that forum.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 July 2003 16:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson Yes - nobody is replying to it!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 July 2003 16:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Thomason Personally, I made a decision not to visit either the membership issues or internal business forums. Maybe some other members have made the same choice. Looking back at the origins of the closed forums - membership and business issues were often discussed on the open forums one way or another, and the discussions tended to get rather silly - the same people kept stating their same opinion over and over again, people didn't read postings properly before replying, and there was sometimes some rather pathetic personal abuse. On the whole it often got to be like watching two little boys squabbling in the back of their mum's Volvo on the school run, and I got sick of it. But that's just my opinion of course!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 July 2003 20:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie All the more reason for people with something useful to contribute to view the forum and participate in the discussions.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 July 2003 21:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Brown I used the study support forum when I was studying for my diploma. I found most responses very good and the advice offered very usefull. I agree that certain individuals are less than helpful , but we should not let them spoil it for rest of us who find the discussion forums a good source of information.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 July 2003 00:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer I think the line goes: "I disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it" "Voltaire" (Francois-Marie Arouet) For heaven sake, do some people make these sanctimonious statements in a forum and thing that it is a contribution to a debate? If you do then go and look it up for clearly you have not understood. My dears, there are those that will lead and there are those that will follow. These comments certainly identify who is in what camp. My personal view is that Voltaire had it right; being a democrat is to value the input even if you don’t agree with it. Are people still starching their unmentionables?
Admin  
#8 Posted : 23 July 2003 09:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor My 'hot-link' button takes me straight here as this is where the interesting action tends to be as far as health and safety at work is concerned - in my opinion that is. Others may disagree but are they voting with their mice and keyboards?
Admin  
#9 Posted : 23 July 2003 10:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House Surely this is a prime example of the sort of thread that should be continued 'behind closed doors' so to speak, which is what the closed forums were created for?
Admin  
#10 Posted : 23 July 2003 16:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Diane For once I find myself in agreement with Richard (and believe me that was a hard statement to make!). That is what debate is. Is it pathetic to repeat your point of view; surely not? Of course there will be 'spats', even if we are in H&S, we still retain our 'human' fallibility. The difficulty with electronic discussions is putting over the humour and sometimes it goes wrong - but it goes wrong face to face as well. The danger is we can take ourselves too seriously - who wants continuous serious debate, not me. Up with debate, I say. Geoff
Admin  
#11 Posted : 24 July 2003 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Is there a membership issue being discussed here? dont think so, why put it in there? There are people in the world today, right now! who are dying and being persecuted to have this right, value and cherish it!!