Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 July 2003 11:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graeme Main The company that I work for has taken the step of issuing hi-vis vest to all yard staff,due to high vehical movements around all our sites (FLT's,deliveries etc).The problem is the complants about files and there attraction to the colour (yellow). Has anyboby had a simular situation and if so how if possible did you get around it. many thanks for any infomation that may help.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 July 2003 11:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Holliday Having never heard of this phenomenon before I have checked with the warehouse staff at my factory and yes this does seem to be an issue. In the summer months flies, and particularly small "thunder" flies, are attracted to high-vis clothing. However all the staff I have spoken to are in agreement that this is a minor irritation compared to the prospect of being run over by an FLT or worse HGV, due to being stood n shadow etc. I feel this is rather a blunt response to a classic case of misdirected priorities. If a tragic accident did occur I certainly would not like to have to tell the victims family (or enforcement officers) that the reason they were not wearing their high-vis clothing was because of a few flies! I shudder to think what the response would be.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 July 2003 15:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Its a common occurrence on building sites. On a couple this late spring we've allowed a dispensation to allow operatives not to wear them during the weeks when the insects are around. The reason - constant irritation by thrips and other bugs was creating an atmosphere of tension which in turn we felt was more likely to result in accidents than not wearing hi viz. I feel it can be justified, it is in the risk assessments for the site (with the reasons), the site foreman and operatives are all advised and they are all (including the drivers) requred to attend an extra toolbox talk to make sure everybody understands the problem. Be interesting to see if there is any research into the effectiveness, or otherwise, of hi viz clothing on building sites. Geoff
Admin  
#4 Posted : 23 July 2003 16:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze Do orange hi-vis vests have the same effect I wonder?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 July 2003 16:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett You could try issuing staff with a sun screen that also contains an insect repellent - thereby killing two hazards with one stone.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 24 July 2003 08:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Whent Experience I've had in major construction and railway infrastructure work, orange hi-viz is less attractive to flies and other creepies (except bees!) If your staff keep moving the flies tend not to settle long and the irritation is markedly less than if they stand there and wait for the flies to land and get comfy. R
Admin  
#7 Posted : 24 July 2003 10:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis The interesting adjunct to this is the school recently on the news that prevented a child having sunscreen as it might cause allergic response in other pupils - the parent could come in and apply it however. Seems something is lopsided in this however as pupils will be affected by allergens on a fellow pupils skin. I suspect it is more truly a concern over potential horseplay - But health concerns are regarded as having higher impact. Bob
Admin  
#8 Posted : 24 July 2003 14:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick 10s of thousands of workers wear hi viz clothing every day. There are always excuses for not wearing the required PPE, I can recall complaints of migraine and hair loss when safety helmets were introduced. Migraines and deteriorating eyesight when eye protection had to be worn. Robert W has the answer " tell them to move now and again to disturb any settling flies" and refer them to the thousands of other people that wear these every day. Steve
Admin  
#9 Posted : 24 July 2003 20:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt When you've seen roofers covered in thousands of beasties, then perhaps you might be more sympathetic. Funnily enough not all people make excuses - some are genuine. In my experience at least. I still find it amazing that we in H&S (who deal with people and their real concerns every day) can still be so cynical so as to try and tar all people with the same brush.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 24 July 2003 22:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Kirk Hi Graeme, We have a similar annoyance at our workplace, We have 650 employees who nearly all wear the yellow vest, we intake around 10 trainees weekly who wear orange vests, When they are outside the yellow wearers have a high "bug count", and the Orange wearers are very rarely affected.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 25 July 2003 15:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt We use the orange ones at Royal Mail - and probably issue more than any other single employer with 160,000 posties out there! Must say I've never come across the flies issue with them (and I'm pretty sure I would have if it was a problem). Allan
Admin  
#12 Posted : 26 July 2003 08:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Campbell I think Allan's solution is the one to look into as a viable option. A trial with one or two vests of that colour, still being hi vis would not attract such creep crawlies! Tony
Admin  
#13 Posted : 26 July 2003 08:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Do orange vests still meet the BS?
Admin  
#14 Posted : 26 July 2003 19:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt I'm sure they do, Geoff, but to be honest I'm not bothered if they don't. Not to the extent of thinking too hard about the replacement cost of 160,000 of the little fellers, anyway. They work, plus some of our people actually wear them.... Allan
Admin  
#15 Posted : 27 July 2003 15:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Thanks Allan. I've learnt something else from the forum. And posties certainly stick out on our country lanes. Only one minor query - does anybody know if orange meets the BS for hi viz clothing. The reason I ask is if there was an accident we would need (I assume) to show that orange was an approved colour. Geoff
Admin  
#16 Posted : 28 July 2003 08:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart In response to Geoff Burts query: See: Guidance for Safer Temporary Traffic Management Pre-Publication Draft Workforce Issues General on: www.highways.gov.uk/abou...pdocs/gstt_may_02/03.htm High Visibility Clothing Where work is carried out on or adjacent to a highway open to traffic, high visibility clothing complying with BS EN 471 should be worn by the workforce and the site supervisory staff. Clothing should be to Table 1, Class 2 or 3 (Class 3 on motorways and other high speed roads) and should comply with paragraph 4.2.3(b) of the Standard. In addition, on motorways and other high speed roads, jackets or coveralls with sleeves, which meet the requirements of paragraph 4.2.4 of the Standard, should be worn. The colour of the clothing should normally be “fluorescent yellow” or “fluorescent orange-red” complying with Table 2 of the Standard. The retroreflective material used should be to Class 2 as defined in Table 5. The clothing should be clean and in good order at all times (This would perhaps suggest Geoff that the Red/Orange colour is also acceptable), especially as the original question related to an industrial premise rather than Highway/Motorway work. Certainly in the "Olden Days" when Hi Viz clothing was first promoted in UK the original colour was Red/Orange. I am not sure if there was a legisltive or Standard requirement specifically but somewhere in the 1970's I seem to recall the colour was changed to Yellow but I can't for the life of me remember what the driver/motovator was for that change. Having stated that on here though on this forum I am sure that we shall soon find out. BSI, unfortunately, I do not have a copy of the Standard but the breif description of content etc is reproduced below. BS EN 471:1994 Specification for high-visibility warning clothing Current, Work In Hand £27.00 £54.00 Standard Number: BS EN 471:1994 Title: Specification for high-visibility warning clothing Abstract: Specifies requirements for clothing signalling the user's presence visually, in daylight and when illuminated by vehicle headlights in darkness. Availability: Electronic Download (when in subscription) and Hardcopy Subscription Modules: GBM07 (Occupational & Personal Safety), GBM55 (Trading Standards) Status: Current, Work In Hand Publication Date: 15 September 1994 Cross References: BS EN 340, BS EN 343, BS EN 530, CIE 15.2, CIE 17.4, CIE 54, ISO 105-A02, ISO 105-A03, ISO 105-B02, ISO 105-C06, ISO 105-D01, ISO 105-E04, ISO 105-N, ISO 105-X11, ISO 105-X12, ISO 2960, ISO 3175, ISO 3758, ISO 3759, ISO 4675, ISO 5081, ISO 6330, ISO 7854, prEN 1150 Pages: 20 Member Price: £27.00 Non-Member Price: £54.00 International Relationships: EN 471:1994 Identical I do know from practical experience that personnel engaged on works at Sewerage Treatment Works and Industrial Waste/Landfill tip sites also suffer from annoyance because flies and insects are at particular times of the year attracted to the colours of the clothing. Solution - just cope with it as the creepy crawlies did not cause any harm to the garment wearers. I can just see the next BBC/David Attenborough Natural History spectacular - Here we see the phenomina of the purpose and function of colour in nature where these workers attired in safety hi viz yellow clothing are emitting signals to and attracting contact with etc etc., Anyway, hope this information is of some use and interest. Regards. ken urquhart
Admin  
#17 Posted : 28 July 2003 08:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack They are available to EN471 in both yellow and orange/red.
Admin  
#18 Posted : 29 July 2003 13:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Custance Just for further conformation. Yes orange Hi-Vis do meet BS. I work in the rail industry and all rail operatives are required to wear them at all times. It was probably there use by rail that lead to the introduction of the yellow hi-vo to enable differentiation between rail and operatives in other industries. As an aside if you do supply your workers with orange hi-vis make sure thay never where them near the operational railway or if your site location is near the rail you may have to reconsider. As an example if you were wearing an orange hi-vi on a station and were standing on the trackside of the yellow line you see painted on the platform you sre then considered to be on or near the line. If a train comes into that station that then becomes a near miss. This probably is totally irrelevant but is worth noting perhaps.
Admin  
#19 Posted : 04 August 2003 14:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede Re John Custances contribution. If anything it will be the other way round. A driver seeing personnel wearing highway yellow would be inclined to report it as it can be mistaken for a yellow signal aspect at a long distance. Personnel wearing orange will be presumed to be where they should be unless some other unsafe act was occurring. David Brede
Admin  
#20 Posted : 06 August 2003 10:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By marcey cross On this subject does any one have any suggestions of alternatives to the high vis vests. Our employees have to wear these on site but we have a problem as they are not anti- static and we required to have antistatic clothing,equipment etc so shouldn't be wearing these vest .Is any one using an anti-static vest ? Can anyone suggest an alternative? Marcey Cross.
Admin  
#21 Posted : 06 August 2003 13:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By harry charles shaw yellow or orange ? its standard pracise for construction workers to wear yellow hi-vis vests, however a signaler/banksman working with site plant would wear the orange colour this applies moreso to tower crane work can you imagine the operator looking down on 200 guys all wearing yellow vests including his banksman
Admin  
#22 Posted : 07 August 2003 11:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Danny Swygart I have found a source for Hi-vis vests that are anti-entanglement (they have extra “poppers” down the side that will come undone releasing the wearer should they get caught up). They comply with EN471 but I have only seen them in Hi-vis orange. I think they would be ideal for Fitters / Maintenance personnel at our site (as long as they are not working near Railway lines, which could confuse Rail Traffic i.e. signal at danger). They also seem to be shorter than the regular vests and may prove more comfortable to wear. A side benefit would be the easy identification of Fitters / maintenance personnel (Hi-vis orange when the rest of the site is wearing yellow). Has anyone got any experience of this product or can offer constructive advice as this would be much appreciated. Thanks, Danny.
Admin  
#23 Posted : 07 August 2003 19:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede I am not aware of any orange hi vi's being mistaken for signals but the yellow ones do provoke complaints from train drivers. I have the hi vi tabards with poppers and a longer length version and they do pop. igot caught on a scaffold tube one day. David