Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2003 08:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Hogarth
Here is one for you to ponder over.....

Picture the scene - a delivery of honey arrives for unloading, unfortunately one of the barrels has split in transit spilling the load. As a consequence the floor of the container is extremely slippery. We have to unload the vehicle using a Fork Truck taking the load from the vehicle to the top of a loading ramp with a metal grill surface.The truck eventually has difficulty gaining purchase on the floor surfaces, so much so that when the driver applies the brakes the trucks keeps moving.

Not unloading the vehicle is not really an option open to us and my concern is obviously the safety of the operatives. The difficulty is that risk assessment would conclude pretty high risk and I want to get control measure in place now.My initial response to this is perhaps to review the truck tyres and also to consider some type of matting that we could put down in this event. I am told that this sort of thing happens a couple of time a year and I want to get a contingency plan in place as soon as possible. On the principle that a problem shared is a problem halved I would be appreciative of any other ideas on this one. Also where would I look for specialst matting if I went down that route?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2003 09:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Smurfer
Just a thought, but how about changing the type of barrel to one of slightly sturdier construction? (You may have considered this already and discounted...)

;-)
Andy
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2003 09:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne
Malcolm,

Here's another thought, try posting your query on the OSH Chat Forum as it is more likely to get a response than in the Careers Forum.

Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 July 2003 14:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick
Malcolme
It does sound very dangerous for a FLT to be sliding back down a slope.
My suggestions are as follows: -
- Check the tyres
- Check the metal grinding is fitted correctly to give the maximum amount of friction
- Check to see that the FLT is designed for such a gradient
- Prevent drivers from transporting the leaking drums and contaminating large areas of the FLT route.
- Provide means of cleaning the spillage asap before contaminating the route and tyres

But before all of this I would strongly suggest that your company as the Customer sends the vehicle and its contents back to the suppliers for them to deal with.

This method would in the long run not only improve H&S but also save your company the time, effort, manpower and money in cleaning up a mess that your supplier is responsible for.
Regards
Steve
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 July 2003 12:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Matthews AIIRSM
We have had instances where the load or vehicle was unsafe, but we have a policy of not unloading anything which is damaged or could cause injury. We phone the supplier and tell them the load is going back and to solve the problem before returning the load to us. This causes the supplier some hasle and they don't usually send a damaged load a second time!! It costs them too much

Regards

Bob
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 July 2003 13:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By RL Michel
Any possibility to clean/ remove the honey before starting the loading?