Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 July 2003 12:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Carl Wignell I have been asked by the MD to write a detailed report on how we can implement health and safety procedures into a particular business division. I will be referring to HSG 65 for guidance, but would appreciate any other help on how I can get the best results out of this exercise. Examples of similar implementation plans would also be appreciated. Many Thanks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 July 2003 14:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Cathy Ricketts The biggest plus factor in implementing health and safety into any work divsion/area is to get the staff on your side, find all the positive things that implementing health and safety is going to do for them and then get them involved. If you have to design paperwork get them to help you we developed a tick box risk assessment for our mobile workers when carrying out lone visits in this way it changed about 5 times in the first six months but it works and they complete it because they own responsibility for it.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 July 2003 14:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Carl, get hold of the IOSH booklet 'systems in focus' free download from this site in .pdf
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 July 2003 15:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan Carl I can send you a paper presented to the ISSA conference last December on dynamic safety management. Let me have your e-mail address. You may also find this training program useful, http://www.confinedspaces.com/oac/index.htm It is a freebie on my company's web-site and you can access as often as you please. It will take you through a step by step process for implementing safety at different levels within a business, regards, Philip
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 July 2003 18:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle The are some useful contract reasearch reports on the HSE web site dealing with health and safety systems and their implementation, and also cover the organisation, heirachy, team working, behavioural problems etc...etc... I think you might find these of use...
Admin  
#6 Posted : 30 July 2003 19:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Channing This is a big question! My answer is to take into account the following factors: - local culture (partitipative/command-n-control) - speed on implementation required - local manager/employee interest - local knowledge of HSE requirements. I'm sure there are other factors as well. The difficulty to be overcome is 'someone imposing a burden on us'. Promoting risk assessment & management in the HSG65 framework by finding local champions to assist takes longer but does produce lasting results! Good luck!! Regards JOHN