Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 July 2003 15:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Can anyone suggest reasons why it is the Companies Act that is to be amended rather than the HASWA or MHSW Regs or some similar item of H&S legistlation. Has H&S legistlation failed? Has H&S really not made it to the Board of Directors? Are certain (groups of) people really not taking their responsibilities to heart? I thought that under current H&S legist. everyone, including managers and directors, had equal responsibilities. To me the notion of employer/ employee is erroneous - there is work and people who work - irrespective of the nature of the work! When at work we all have obligations to comply with H&S legistlation. So has something failed to achieve its aim and what makes it felt that this amendement would be a preferred way to put right this failure in H&S compliance? I'm interested in reading your points of view(s). Benedict.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 July 2003 09:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Since H&S is also a management function in general terms I see no reason why the use of a Company Act amendment should not be used. It might also point out more clearly to directors that H&S is a business function not an extraneous add on. In general I rather suspect that the corporate killing legislation may supersede the 10 minute rule effort to make the current guidance note statutory. The guidance could then become an approved code of practice. The whole board being held liable in the event of a fatality unless they are able to demonstrate a better standard. Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 July 2003 10:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw Its been a long time since I looked at the Companies Act, but I would suspect there is a two fold reason for it being here and not H&S legislation. 1) The duties of directors are defined in the Act along with the penalties and therefore it would be logical to put this legislation in the same place. 2) Directors don't seem to read H&S Legislation, so you might as well put it somewhere they are likely to actually see it. Very cynical of me I know, but I have only met one director who could quote the HSWA. I have mixed feelings about the failings of the HSWA. Yes, Directors can be prosecuted under it, but the HSE's problem is showing that the Director was a "controlling mind" in committing the offence. In many companies the Directors are so remote from the coalface that they cannot be held accountable. (Try reading some of the train crash reports before privatisation). In bringing about this change through Company Law the Government is forging that link in law and therefore the Directors can be held liable even if they never set foot on a production line. (Some of ours don't as we are a US owned company). I would recommend a book by Tolley's on Corporate Killing that is very enlightening.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 31 July 2003 09:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Bob, Thanks for your thoughts. It is exactly because H&S legistlation clearly makes H&S a management function that provoked the question. How have directors been able to persuade otherwise or pass the buck? I like you feel it might be intended to clarify and consolidate the position of H&S within the business framework and as a function of directors. Benedict
Admin  
#5 Posted : 31 July 2003 10:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Sarah, Very useful. Thank-you. Perhaps then nothing to do with reinforcing or filling a gap in H&S legistlation. More a way of clarifying the current situation and clearly stating who is accountable and where responsibiltiy for H&S ultimately rests. A vehicle more than a means. A parliamentary response to case law that has demonstrated difficulty in cleary identifying who is responsible. OR Is this an extension of the scope of H&S or just an affirmation of inclusivity? "Corporate Killing" is this the actual book title?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 31 July 2003 10:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw The book is Corporate Killing: A Manager's guide to legal compliance. Author Michael G Welham published by Tolley's ISBN 0-7547-1066-2. I didn't find it as heavy going as you might think for this type of book and it gives some useful information to use with senior managers.