Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 July 2003 16:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess
I have been asked what health and safety responsibilities we as a Social Services Department have towards Foster Carers when placing children with them.

Could anbody offer any advice or opinions on where our responsibilities may start and finish?

Thanks in advance.

Greg
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 July 2003 08:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
Foster carers are volunteers so employer will have Section 3 duties. I suppose this would mean giving information (relevant to h&s) about the child being fostered eg special needs, handling issues etc. I would have thought this would be part of the care plan.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 July 2003 09:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House
I am not sure behind the reasoning that foster carers are volunteers - they are paid for the work that they carry out by the relevant area's social services dept. My wife is a foster carer, and although I am not sure whether this is a national standard, in our area (West Sussex), she is self employed.

The social services dept carry out regular inspections of our house, and at one point were not happy with our smoke detectors, so provided 2 new ones. They also provided a fire blanket, to be kept in the kitchen.

At one point, they were also considering providing fire extinguishers, but when I raised the point of training, inspections, etc., they seemed to drop the idea.

Although self employed, as the social services are in effect employing the services of my wife in a capacity as a trained and registered foster carer, she is therefore a contractor, and I would have thought that they therefore owe her a similar duty of care as they would a contractor employed to repair the roof of the social services offices for example.

Apologies if I have started to waffle, and I hope this has been of some help.

Regards

Nick.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 July 2003 11:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster
The status and remuneration varies between local authorities. In common with those in most areas, we are volunteers, and payments are made up of expenses allowances to cover food, clothing, pocket money, heating & lighting etc etc for the looked after child. These vary according to the age, and hence cost of keeping, the child. There is no element of payment to the foster carer and hence payments (below a reasonable set limit)are not subject to tax.

The LA's obligations to us are to ensure we are trained in the "art" and techniques of looking after children who may have a variety of exceptional physical and emotional needs, and who may therefore pose a threat to the foster carers. Issues such as Managing Challenging Behaviour and Child Protection are important. They should ensure that a trained social worker is always available to support the foster carers should the need arise.

The LA is, of course, responsible for the welfare of the child, and should ensure that the home compies with reasonable levels of safety and hygiene as befits a family home. They will normally pay for improvements.

Otherwise, the looked after child (modern parlance for foster child) is treated lke one of your own, and problems are dealt with as they arise, as you would with your own ( who do not come into this world with a risk assessment attached!!)

John