Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 31 July 2003 14:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
Help!!

We are currently caring for a very large patient....wait for it....... 50st!! (318kgs).

He requires walking sticks and uses his own wooden variety to mobilise himself. However, we discovered that one of them has a large crack.

We need to source a v.heavy duty walking stick to equip this gent and get him on his way. Cannot use walking frames so they aren't an option.

Many thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2003 15:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Mains
Bryn,
I saw this post heading and assumed that you were looking to source a bed for the patient.
On the walking sticks, I assume you have tried all the usual suspects - mobilty, occ. therapy suppliers etc. If so, then I am kind of at a loss as my experience of bariatric patients, in addition to being lighter than 50st, have usually been non ambulatory.

Have you tried the Estates Joiner/carpenter?

Admin  
#3 Posted : 31 July 2003 15:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Elizabeth Hallows
have you tried asking your nearest Disabled Living Centre? They hold databases on all kinds of equipment, and may well be able to help.
The number of the Manchester one is 0161 214 5959
Admin  
#4 Posted : 31 July 2003 17:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Bryn

I have tried to return your favour by searching the www on your behalf. The strongest walking stick I could find can only support about 35 stone (although two would be good enough). If only one walking aid is possible, then you may need to consider a crutch; the strongest ones are found in USA. Try www.fetterman-crutches.com

Paul

Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 August 2003 14:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Baynes
There are people who make walking sticks as a hobby or rural craft. One of these may be able to help you though I am not sure how you will satisfy yourself that they will safely take the proposed load. Just type 'stickmakers' into Google, you will see there is a British Stickmakers Guild, they may be able to help you find someone in your area to help.