Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 31 July 2003 16:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett
I'm in the middle of writing guidance on supporting staff & students with medical needs and the question of privacy and human rights has reared its ugly head. At the moment it's hypothetical but I wonder what would happen if a parent (on behalf of a child) or an adult refused to allow a risk assessment of their condition to be carried out on the grounds that it infringed their right to privacy.

Any thoughts from colleagues please? You can bet that if even I don't mention it, as soon as the guidance is published some smart alec will ask so I'd like to be prepared.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2003 20:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
Zoe,

risk assemments should be objective, but account for the expected range of abilities and comptences to be encountered/involved.

You may not, if I understand medical ethics and confidentiality, ask about or take in to account the range of abilities and competences of a specific person. (without that persons/parents specific agreement)

I do not propose that you do "worst case" assemments. That can be enormously difficult and lead you into some difficult, even ridiculous situations and recommendations.

Use commensense, for normally anticipateable (is that a word ?) situations and base your recommendations on that. Parents of handicapped children want primarily that their children lead as normal lives as possible, without unnecessary "cotton wooling". But they will understand, given courtesy and understanding, that some extra precautions may be needed to protect the health and safety of their own child, amongst others.

Genarlised rules are ok, but the nursing/care staff know best what each individual needs. Do not be too restrictive, explain this to the parents, and trust your staff.

Unfortunately I have no experience of your specific situation. I just feel that this is the right way to handle it.

Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 August 2003 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ed Carter
Zoe,
Coincidently, I'm doing a similar exercise for my workplace. I agree with what the other respondent said, in that for the most part, if treated curtesly and the reasoning explained, most parents will be happy to assist. For the odd one or two who wont, I've tended to look at the assessments for young persons, specifically at limited physical cababilities, Where this is identified as an issue, I tend to bring in our learner support staff to assist in reducing any hazards or risks.
Help this helps
Ed
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 August 2003 15:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Youel
I am confident that there is case law re hunman rights / private medical information V H&S - In all cases H&S won and was / is the senior consideration - you cannot allow somebody to hurt themselves or others even though it may infringe their rights.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 August 2003 07:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Edward Partington
Zoe you could simply accept their right to privacy.

If they will not answer questions relavant to a RA then you simply send them on their way and say that you cannot offer them a placement- employment, as it would be un safe to do so.

The individual has rights but within HS law the employer has responsibilities which they must comply with.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 August 2003 09:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
I don't believe that parents/guardians have any right to allow or disallow legally required risk assessments. They will have a right to withhold information - but then we have a right to require relevant information and to decide whether or not to accept a child for education or care based upon the information available to us. Risk assessments for persons in care tend to rely upon: medical information; professional judgement based upon this information and observations; and monitoring - and similar considerations will be present within the school environment even if not so formalised. Essential health and safety still takes precedence over human rights in my view (which I understood to be within the intention of the HRA) but it will be interesting to see how things turn out in the courts as time passes.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 05 August 2003 11:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan
Zoe,

If you are doing a general guidance on support to staff and students with medical needs, the issue of privacy and human rights does not arise as no specific individual is being assessed. There are many good sources of advice and assistance in this regard, from a wide range of disability charities to the Employers Forum on Disability. Many of these will also come in to your organisation to provide Disability Awareness training.

Try these hyperlinks:

http://www.disability.gov.uk/
http://www.employers-forum.co.uk/www/index.htm

On the other hand, if you have specific individuals in mind who have already indicated to you that they have medical condition for which they require support, then simply ask them what support they need, it is not essential in these circumstances that you have all the details of their condition, only information on what arrangements they require in order that they carry out their work operations, studies.

However, if your concern is that some staff/students are known to have medical conditions that may adversely affect the health and well-being of others, (and this applies to those with short-term conditions as well as those with long-term/permanent conditions) they have a duty to inform you and to provide you with sufficient details to allow you to make a determination as to their suitability for work.

Individuals have a right not to disclose medical conditions, but have a duty to state that they are medically and physically fit to undertake the job. This can be independently verified by fitness tests the employer may set up. But any information that an employer requires and decisions based upon it must have a direct bearing on the job, otherwise an unlawful discriminatory situation may exist

Risk assessments are concerned with analysing hazards and establishing controls to eliminate or contain them. Most people with medical conditions are not "hazards", consequently a risk assessment approach to their medical condition would be totally inappropriate. Seek only essential information from your staff & students, and explain why you need it. Generally those who require help and support are only too happy to provide details of what they need.

Regards, Philip