Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 August 2003 10:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Jones Can anyone suggest what type of training gardeners may take in relation to their health and safety while at work? Thanks Mike
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 August 2003 14:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor H&S Induction, General H&S at Work, Safe Lifting/Manual Handling, Use of Equipment/Plant (eg grass-cutting, chain-saws, hedge-cutters, abrasive wheels, etc), COSHH and use of pesticides, and other aspects of their work as determined by risk assessments.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 August 2003 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Appleton The British Association of Landscape Industries ROLO scheme may be of interest http://www.bali.org.uk/index2.html
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 August 2003 10:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley Thanks for the response Adrian. I know my contribution would generate a response because what I was suggesting was an unusual safety approach and would be deemed controversial. The point I was trying to make is that as safety professionals I think we must provide all the possible solutions to a problem for our employers. Too often I think we adopt the usual approach of supporting the "injured party" and constantly fail to see the general effects on the business which effects everyone. If I was faced with this problem myself, I would not necessarily recommend to my employer that they take this option but in the end, I feel it is an option that is worthy of consideration. You mention the DDA in your reply to me but I feel this person would not be categorised as disabled, so DDA would not apply. Howeve, my knowledge regarding DDA is not extensive so I could be wrong. Any comments.......