Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 August 2003 15:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess What are the legal responsibilities in relation to food safety legislation. It is not an area I know to much about. One of our care homes is being inspected and have been asked to provide a copy of their food hygiene policy. Is it a legal requirement to have a policy? Any info on the general requirements in relation to a care home would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Greg
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 August 2003 18:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman greg, I'm not sure of the actual legal status you are talking about, their are the food hygiene regulations which your local health officer, or equivalent, will be happy to talk to you about. there is also HACCP - Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points methodology which is, briefly, a "quality of hygiene" assurance system developed originally, I believe, to ensure that american astronauts didn't get the runs while on Extra Vehicular Activity. Space walking. This is now law in some countries, but I con't know about the UK Merv Newman
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 August 2003 18:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Greg, The Food Safety Act 1990 and the The Food Safety (General Food Hygiene) Regulations 1995 apply to your premises. Regulation 4(3) requires that a; A proprietor of a food business shall identify any step in the activities of the food business which is critical to ensuring food safety and ensure that adequate safety procedures are identified, implemented, maintained and reviewed on the basis of the following principles— (a) analysis of the potential food hazards in a food business operation; (b) identification of the points in those operations where food hazards may occur; (c) deciding which of the points identified are critical to ensuring food safety ("critical points"); (d) identification and implementation of effective control and monitoring procedures at those critical points; and (e) review of the analysis of food hazards, the critical points and the control and monitoring procedures periodically, and whenever the food business's operations change. Methods such as S.A.F.E, and Assured Good Catering will allow you to do this quickly and more simply than full blown HACCP. Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 August 2003 22:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Levi Bonnage Greg, If your care home is complying to the Food Safety Act 1990 Food Safety{General Food Hygiene} Regulations 1995 and Food Safety {Tempature control}Regulations 1995 you should not have any problems, you can pick up the books easy enough,SI no 1763 from the stationary office and SI no 2200 or you can pick up the Industry Guide to Good Hygiene Practice:catering guide priced at £3.60 at all health and safety stockist.I hope this is of some help for you.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 August 2003 09:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Greg If you contact Chester Council Environmental Health Department - they do a very useful food hygiene policy template document for companies to adapt. I was able to get a copy because we have care homes in Chester. It was free - they might send you one if you ask them nicely! I don't know what sort of care homes you have. Our organisation supports people with learning disabilities. Managers often try to resist doing simple requirements such as daily fridge temperature checks. They feel this sort of thing is institutional and not like a normal home. I often respond by saying that "If you get food poisoning in your own home, you would not sue yourself - whereas if a service user gets food poisoning their family may well sue you/us - and if you have no evidence that you did the basic requirements of food hygiene legislation then you would not have a leg to stand on". We also look after elderly service users - for which salmonella could be a killer. For statistics on food poisoning, look at the food standards agency website. Just a few more pointers, temperature probes - we have care homes in lots of different counties. Most EHOs require this - some don't. Make sure you read the sections on training, thermometer calibration and the example HACCP in the Catering Guide mentioned in a previous response. Regarding temperature checks - the legal max for fridges is 8 degrees C. Although 5 degrees is strongly recommended. I think it used to be 4 degrees. It's minus 18 for freezers. I think the catering guide recommends two measurements a day. For most of our care homes we do one a day and this seems acceptable to EHOs - except in our cafes that serve food to the public. With temperature checks, make sure that there is an action column on any forms or log books. So often people are happy to write down a result that exceeds the max. without taking any action!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 August 2003 11:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Are you in fact registered as a food business with your local EHO - the Food Premises Registration Regs refer. To answer your query though - The Idustry Guide to Good Hygiene Praqctice: published by Chadwick House Group Ltd (wholly owned by the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health)is the bible in respect of food hygiene. It is this document that you will be measured against and although a "Policy" is not strictly a legal requirement you will need to be able to demonstrate how you demonstrate "Due Diligence" (took all reasonable precautions)to avoid breaking the law ie The Food Safety Act and its subsidiary Regulations. A Policy will demonstrate how Managment at the highest level are involved in Food Safety and the measures necessary to protect food at all stages of its purchase, storage, production, cooking, service and disposal. If you do not have such a policy - it will be difficult (but not impossible)to demonstrate "Due Diligence". You definitely need a copy of the relevant Industry Guide. Your local EHO will probably be able to help with a Policy blank but probably not a good idea to ask just at present as they are coming to inspect. I can give you sight of ours if you would like to email me direct.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 August 2003 12:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess Thanks for everyones responses. There has been some really good pointers there for me to get stuck into. Thanks again. Greg