Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 August 2003 15:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young A link to a nice little story re the 75th anniversary of the above case. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3001512.stm
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 August 2003 09:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Ron, Thats a 'neighbourly' thing to do!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 August 2003 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Didn't want to be too "sluggish" about passing the information
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 August 2003 14:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Thomason Funny how the snail mutated into a slug, innit? And in one of the reports it was a "larva"! Come on journalists, concentrate!!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 August 2003 19:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Dave It was Ron's sister! Geoff
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 August 2003 18:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett It's almost too good to be true when you see that the lawyer's name was "Leechman"...
Admin  
#7 Posted : 20 August 2003 19:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Diane, In them days, there were chronic housing shortages. There's two references on the same page to the snail. I've always thought you need to be semi brain dead to be a journo.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 20 August 2003 23:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow Ron At last after 4200++++ Hits and 56 responses to a thread about smoking OR not smoking - someone has a sense of humour (you) well done to break the mould. Have to go now wife over-cookin fish supper and burning the toast (as always). Regards David B
Admin  
#9 Posted : 20 August 2003 23:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Thanks for the link, Ron. I've been refering to the case for years without realising the Minghella ice cream connection. The main manufacturer of ice cream here on the Isle of Wight is named Minghella. It tastes rather nice, is available in a range of flavours and is said to be gluten free. Perhaps I shall now have to enquire as to whether it is also gastropod free. Come to think of it, they do not have a ginger beer flavour but there is a rum and raisin option. Was this, I wonder, the furthest point they could run to escape Scottish justice or is Minghella still operating North of the border?
Admin  
#10 Posted : 21 August 2003 09:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Need to be careful though if they do it in smoky bacon flavour!
Admin  
#11 Posted : 21 August 2003 09:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Personally I'd watch out for the raisins in the rum and raisin - are you quite sure they are what they purport to be? Hilary
Admin  
#12 Posted : 21 August 2003 14:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson If you get cancer of the oesophagus from the burnt toast you can always sue your wife! If itwas IRN BRU the slug would have smashed its way out of the bottle
Admin  
#13 Posted : 26 August 2003 09:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Thanks for the reminder, Dave. I've just sent back two slices of burnt toast from Benjy's in Croydon and they said that some customers prefer it that way (I suspect they are frustrated smokers forbidden to engage their habit there). For the record, I am just as capable of burning toast as my wife but do keep a fire-blanket readily available.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 27 August 2003 11:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Wood now i'm worried - how MUCH burnt toast does it take to give me cancer?!! or is it just the wife's? now i'm MORE worried?
Admin  
#15 Posted : 27 August 2003 16:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Waterton ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh