Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 August 2003 16:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Skimins Can anyone point me in the right direction, or to web links, to enable me to get the ball rolling for my company. We are a low risk, office environment, made up of mainly software design engineers or R&D. The only hiccup is a laboratory used for small scale soldering and printed circuit board [live] work.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 August 2003 07:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Bill I am not clear from your posting what information you are seeking. Are you interested in the working environment, i.e. space, fume, etc, or is the issue the environment at large - emissions, waste, etc? Please clarify, and I am sure you will then get some useful pointers Regards Jane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 August 2003 09:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Bill I am presuming that you are looking at some form of EMS when you ask this. If so your policy really needs to be looking at the issues you face in strategic manner, for example there are issues of conservation of resources with regard to heating, lighting, water and materials consumed by the PCB work. You also have issues around waste and recycling/segregation with such as white paper, plastic cups(if used), cans etc. I don't know if the company has a vehicle fleet - what is the stance on the fuels etc. If this is what you are meaning let me know and I will e-mail a copy of mine which is construction based but will give a feel on style and approach. If you think about good safety policies which set out company strategies and policy intents then you will also get a feel. Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 August 2003 10:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Skimins I am not at the stage to go full hog to setting up an EMS yet.However, although totally different operations [construction/office work] the things you mentioned Bob, are all relevant to our environment/ business pattern. Therefore should be obliged if you would forward oyur policy for perusal.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 August 2003 10:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Winter Bill, Remember when you are looking at the environment from an office point to ensure your air conditioning units are covered. You may allready be aware of this, if so i dont mean to teach you to suck eggs but it caught me out. Our units contain R22 which is an Ozone depleting substance and therfore have to be leakage tested every year. James
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 August 2003 14:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Norman Ruddock Bob, I too would be very grateful for a copy of your EMS. It is something I am currently working on and could be doing with some inspiration. THank you Norman