Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 August 2003 18:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Liz We have a laboratory where a variety of chemicals including strong acids are used. I am trying to find whether there are any regulations which state the minimum size of workspace per person. I am keen to hear any info! Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 August 2003 18:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john r sharp Liz A little more detail would be useful: is the laboratory teaching, analysis or production? Have you carried out an assessment of what activities are being carried out? Higher risk activities will, by there nature, require more space. You could apply the general guide of 11 cubic metres, but I'm sure having worked in laboratories, that this would be inadequate. There used to be guidelines for educational laboratories, and probably still are. My experience is in this field. I'm sure that the HSE have information relating to different types of laboratories: why not contact the helpline? Regards John
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 August 2003 23:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Brunel University's CLEAPSS School Science Service have published guidance for school laboratories and might be prepared to give you some advice. Basically you need to note the minimum space required under the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regs as the absolute minimum and then consider by risk assessment what additional space is necessary for the occupants to get to their workplace safely, leave in an emergency situation, and do what is required of them safely whilst there. The positions of furniture, equipment, stored chemicals risks from proximity of persons and the like will be among the factors to consider.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 August 2003 18:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Liz The lab is a QC analytical lab testing drug (licensed inc CD's and supplements). As yet I haven't had any definite answers as to what risk analysis has been carried out but I will definitly look at the minimum space required under the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regs for starters! Any ideas where I can find that info on the net? - I'm new to this and am not having much luck finding info on the net! Thanks!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 August 2003 21:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Paterson Hi Liz You could try the Stationary Office website where you can download Statutory Instruments free I think it is www.hmso.gov.uk Hope you find what you are looking for. Kind Regards Robert Paterson
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 August 2003 08:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Higgs Liz, I work in laboratories which are mostly biological, biotechnology and some chemistry. I recollect the figure of 24cu m as a guide for volume per person in biology labs but I cannot lay my hands on the reference. More importantly, the HSE has given guidance on microbiological containment labs and list factors such as the intended nature of the work, space required for free-standing and bench mounted equipment and numbers of staff (ACDP guidance on containment labs, 2001). I suggest similar guidance applies to chemistry labs. So basically it is down to risk assessment of the operation taking into account access/ egress requirements, minimum fume cupboard distances from fixed and temporary objects (BS7258:Part2:1994)and the types of operations engaged in. I have found the figure of 11cu m even for offices rather artificial and I suggest that this is below the minimum required for labs. The operative word in the Workplace regs is "sufficient". What is sufficient for offices is definitely not sufficient for labs. Keith Higgs