Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 August 2003 14:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By connah I have been asked to allow an employee to wear training shoes on a construction site By His GP, this is to help an Ulcerated foot Problem. i cannot allow this for safety reasons. has anyone any ideas how to overcome this problem? as i am also informed that it is the steel within the protective footwear that is causing the ulcers.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 August 2003 15:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser This sounds a bind. Immediate response would be to review the relevant Risk Assessments which I would expect to state or presume use of safety footwear as an integral part of site PPE, especially in construction. If the employee cannot wear the footwear and a suitable alternative cannot be provided (which in this case I would think is unlikely) then unfortunately they will not be able to continue their normal duties. Alternative work would need to be offered and if that is not suitable, then the ultimate consequence is that they cannot be employed. I was unaware that steel (or any other material) could "cause" skin ulcers - these are usually formed by prolonged pressure on the tissues without relief, disturbing the local blood flow and allowing the skin to die, become infected and drop off (sorry if you are eating while reading this). The definition is: A local defect or excavation, of the surface of an organ or tissue, which is produced by the sloughing of inflammatory necrotic tissue. Was it the doctor who stated this, or is the employee perhaps translating (or elaborating) what he/she was told? If it was the doctor, then it's a bold statement as it could cause someone to lose their livelihood. Perhaps the individual has been wearing the wrong size footwear (although again, just because the shoes are tight wouldn't normally lead to ulcers, just blisters and abrasions)? One point - you could contact a safety shoe manufacturer and find out if they have heard of this and if they have any alternatives available that you could use instead of steel-based protection. Upshot is that it looks the person is not suitable for the job, as there is unlikely to be compromise to working without fully justified PPE.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 August 2003 15:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Beveridge If it was genuinely the metal (I'd need some pretty strong evidence!) then you could recommend the purchase of non metalic safety footwear for issue to this individual on medical grounds. I know Totectors were working on a non metallic composite 200 joule toecap. There are a number of other suppliers also developing these items; your usual supplier may well be able to source them for you. Hope this helps. Regards Andy
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 August 2003 16:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian stevenson Try ARCO.co.uk they supply safety footwear and could probably give advice on toecap types. Regards Ian Stevenson
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 August 2003 19:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Crossland-Clarke I would ask him to get a letter from his doctor, he may have to pay for this, but offer to reimburse for it if it states his case. At least you then have the correct information. Then you can go about sourcing the correct footwear. Short of that he'l have to learn how to fly or walk on his hands! Linda
Admin  
#6 Posted : 25 August 2003 13:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Connah. I too suffer from steel toecap discomfort, where the toecap continually presses into the side of my big toes, causing pain and leading to white lumps on the side of my toes. I have broad feet and even with wide fitting safety shoes I find this a problem. Boots are not so bad (as they tend to be very wide fitting) but even then I have to wear heavy thick (uncomfortable in hot weather) socks to reduce the problem to a minimum. I would summise that your chap may have a similar problem and the constant pressure has led to ulcers on the sides of his toes etc. Very painful I would imagine... I have tried, with some success, but not a total problem solver, wearing wrist sweat bands (the sort used by tennis players etc...) around the outside of my feet over my toes. These work well for short periods, but then with the continued pressure the pain returns and I have no choice but to take the shoes off for while to releive the pressure (not whilst in an danger area of course). I have failed to find any really comfortable shoes that prevent this, and so I am stuck with wide fitting boots and thick wooly seamans socks all year round!! If you find a supplier of decent width footwear, and i've tried, let me know...
Admin  
#7 Posted : 25 August 2003 19:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By paul maddox I suspect that the problem may be caused by ill fitting footwear rather than the actual steel toe cap. However, if this is the case then carbon fibre/kevlar toe caps are available and as proof I have a pair, they are manufactured by TUF and are excellent, unfortunately they cost considerably more than the usual £19.99 but as always you only get what you pay for!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 26 August 2003 08:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew I. Butler Good Morning Connah, I would recommend a company called Jallette. They manufacture a range of safety footwear which come with 200 joule safety toecaps that are not steel. This makes the boot/shoe very light and comfortable to wear. Their two main distributors in the UK are ARCO and Greenham although they do not stock the compete range. Although these boots are a little more expensive, their comfort value far outways the cost. Regards Andy
Admin  
#9 Posted : 26 August 2003 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Hi there. The leather might also be causing a problem. My Lavoro safety shoes say inside them, "Vegetable tanned - chromium free". Definately get the doctors letter. The only other thing I can suggest is safety overshoes. You put them on over your ordinary shoes. The disadvantage with them is that they make your feet bigger than you are used to and hence you are more likely to trip. I haven't seen them in real life, but I would imagine that they could be cumbersome and would be suited for short term use only. Regards, Karen
Admin  
#10 Posted : 27 August 2003 17:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Kirk Sorry to state the obvious but Safety Trainers would seem like a good solution, they are readily available, not excessive in cost and also very comfortable.