Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 August 2003 14:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Appleton We need to carry out repairs to the abutments of a canal bridge. Our contractor has proposed to carry out the task wearing dry diving suits and wading into the canal (water level approx chest height). Does anyone know if this would this be classed as a diving operation? I’ve had a quick look at the Diving at Work Regulations but failed to find a definition.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 August 2003 14:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Appleton On second reading of the regulations I found the definition I was after - a person dives if they enter a liquid or presurised chamber & they need to breath presurised air or other gas to survive
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 August 2003 11:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor It might not be 'diving at work' but I would want to see an approved safe working method based upon risk assessment and taking into account underwater hazards, water quality and levels, currents, equipment to be used, emergency procedures, etc, etc.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 August 2003 18:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley This wold not be a diving project Steve unless there is any possibility of going sub-surface. This will then become a diving project and subject to DWR. It will be categorised as a commercial inland/inshore operation and the client who commissions the work has a duty to ensure that a competent diving contractor is appointed, making sure the site is safe to use, identifies all known hazards such as underwater obstructions and contaminated waters etc. and supporting the contractor and supervisor in any emergency. This does not mean, however, that there is no danger associated with the work. Therefore, I would suggest that your contractor assesses the risk and implements control measureas, ensures that everyone is fully aware of the method of work and can produce evidence to that effect, ensures that suitable and sufficient rescue measures are in place, provides suitable entry and exit points, that all plant and equipment is suitable and certified for the purpose for which it is to be used e.g. harnesses etc. and that adequate first aid and medical treatment is immediately available. Strong currents, slips, falls and injuries due to underwater obstructions can all kick in here. As a diver myself I still remember doing similar work like this in a dry suit without BA and ending up with a gob full after falling into a sewage pit as a result of not being aware of a underwater drop off into the pit during a river search. Not something I want to repeat although the Navy paid me special service pay of 50 pence a day. Nice!