Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 August 2003 09:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Deirdre Gallagher Could anyone point me in the right direction for info on the harmful effects of Soldering as a member of staff is complaining of painful eyes and the Opthalmologists confirm that it is due to a particular chemical irritating the eyes , but the only work he undertakes is Soldering for maybe a few minutes every 1 to 3 days...I need more info and i suspect the Risk assessment which would highlight the hazards of soldering doesnt exist!!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 August 2003 10:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt Sounds like a COSHH assessment is missing! I suggest you start by checking out the solder compound and get the data sheet from the supplier. You'll almost certainly need a COSHH assessment done by someone competent to do so, and that would use the data sheet as a start point. There's lots of information out there on solder, resins etc. Try a Google search! Good luck, Allan
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 August 2003 10:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Morrison Deirdre, The solder you use will have a safety data sheet giving you all the info you need. You should get this from the supplier of your solder. Soldering can cause irritation to the eyes and in my experience some people are far more susceptible to its effect than others. We have put in place extraction systems that take any solder/flux fumes away from the source immediately the iron touches the solder, as well as good general ventilation. I have to say that on two occasions we have had to remove people from carrying out soldering because they were extremely sensitive to its effects. Bill
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 August 2003 16:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By allan wood once you have got the material data sheet , try using coshh essentials to do your coshh assessment its free from the hse. regards allan
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 August 2003 17:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john r sharp Deirdre The flux in solder, if my memory serves me, is Colophonium Resin- a naturally occurring resin extracted from a tree- can't remember which!! It is known to cause irritation to the eyes and the respiratory tract. You do need to carry out a COSHH assessment,get information from the supplier/ manufacturer: I would also look at extracting the fume produced at source. ie A local exhaust ventilation system: doesn't have to be complicated- sufficient to remove the fume from the breathing zone to the outside. HSE have also produced a leaflet on its use, this may be of use. Regards John
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 August 2003 17:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Deidre On-iron extraction is best as the fume is dealt with before it enters the breathing zone. Paul
Admin  
#7 Posted : 26 August 2003 18:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john r sharp Further to earlier posting: Have a look at INDG248- Solder Fume and You- lots of useful info. John
Admin  
#8 Posted : 27 August 2003 08:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Rosin free solder is available and your COSHH assessment should lead you to substitute it, unless it is not suitable for your particular operation.