Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 August 2003 12:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston Our Fork lift drivers routinely remove keys from their FLT when leaving unattended. No problems there. However, our organisation repairs hundreds of vehicles (large and small), which are left in designated car parks (prior to and after repair) with the keys left in the ignition. The car parks are very secure, so I'm not worried about trespasers/children etc. I would like to have keys removed from all vehicles, but I know there will be strong opposition. Any suggestions or advice welcome.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 August 2003 12:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Wood Shane I've probably missed soemthing obvious, but if you're not worried about trespassers/children, and the site IS secure, what exactly IS your concern? Steve
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 August 2003 13:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston One could say that as we have a secure site, why bother removing the keys from FLTs, but one FLT was found with the keys still in during a recent HSE visit, and the inspector asked to speak to the driver. My concern with regards other vehicles is employees jumping in the wrong vehicle (e.g. one with defective breaks) and moving it into the workshop to repair. This has not happend yet .... but I have know of work being conducted on the wrong vehicle in the past. If an incomming vehicle has an "identified" defect that would make it unsafe to drive, we do put a sign in the window to try to ensure that it is not moved by mistake. Would you consider this enough, or should we be removing all keys ?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 August 2003 13:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Appleton I agree with Shane that this is a potential problem. PUWER states that where the use of work equipment is likely to involve a specific risk to health or safety, every employer shall ensure that it’s use (including repairs, maintenance etc) is restricted to authorised people. If these vehicles are left so they can be used by any employee then it’s possible that an employee who is not qualified / authorised could operate one of these vehicles resulting in injury to themselves or others. I doubt if your insurance company would be happy about this. On the other hand, if all employees are authorised to operate these vehicles …….
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 August 2003 13:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I think you want a risk assessment, Shane, that, among the control measures, says that keys are to be removed from the ignition of vehicles and stored safely and securely under the control of appointed persons. This will then give you the 'authority' to implement the measure.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 27 August 2003 15:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Ken, I agree that a risk assessment is required, but to do it in such a manner that it will give you "authority" to impose your solution (arrived at before the RA was even started) is a rather odd way of doing it. And will invite some cynical comments from those affected, especially if you had already tried or suggested your solution without getting agreement to it. I think that this could taint any future RA you are involved in. Remember, doing the RA is one thing,(gives legal cover if competently done) selling the results to management and the workforce is another. Merv Newman
Admin  
#7 Posted : 28 August 2003 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I agree, of course, Merv. I took the question as implying that Management (or at least their health and safety adviser) wanting to improve security and reduce risk by this method but employees not wanting it for reasons of convenience. If this is the case, it is Management's duty to assess a significant risk and come up with the appropriate controls (which, at least in the opinion of the originator of this thread, involve removing the keys). Risk assessments are, of course, best and properly done in consultation with those who do the job and I would not want to seem to suggest otherwise.