Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 August 2003 14:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Just a thought, wouldn't it be nice if health & safety management systems such as OHSAS 18001, BS8800 or HSG65 were a legal requirement (not just referred to in ACOPs and HSE guidance). If HSE want to focus more on prevention rather than accident investigation, this would give them far more power to get companies to manage health & safety properly. Does anyone know if this has ever been considered by HSE/Government etc? I also think that much of our profession needs enlightening. Many H&S advisers I've come across don't seem to really understand H&S management systems and why they are so important.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 August 2003 14:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Nigel, It is an interesting observation but..there is a legal requirement under the MHSWRegs to provide for implementing, monitoring etc. Therefore, organisations need to make suitable arrangements to ensure that these are properly managed and controlled. That said, it is up to the individual organisations to choose the best methods. Also, even with a suitable safety management system in place it does not necessarily ensure that safety is properly managed. All systems will have their own vulnerabilities and it would appear the more complex that system is, the more likely it will be breached. I could think of many such examples but due to 'economy' I will not attempt to give examples. The notion that by implementing a management system will itself provide a safe environment is a myth. There is in my opinion far too much prescriptive safety or 'paper' safety already. No matter how robust a management system is on paper, it will still be vulnerable to the human interface, and most accidents occur due to 'latent failures' of the management e.g. poor training, inadequate or impractical procedures, poor supervision, accident investigations etc. I believe the time has come to ensure that those safety regulations that are already in place are properly observed and those who do not comply are suitably addressed. Rather than bringing more regulations, after all, a SMS is no more than a collective means of ensuring that safety is properly managed. Regards Ray Regards Ray
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 August 2003 15:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston Regulation 5 of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations places a general duty on the employer to "make and give effect to such arrangements as are appropriate ...... for the effective planning, organisation, control, monitoring and review of the preventative and protective measures". In effect this requires the employer to set up and maintain an effective health and safety management system. I do agree however that OHSAS 18001, HS(G)65, BS8800 are simply formalising what we should all be doing anyway. My own view is that EL insurance providers will eventually force organisations down the formal SMS route, in the same way ISO9001 was "forced" upon companies by their clients. Third party verification of a recognised SMS, will enable EL providers to cherry pick those companies who can demonstrate they have an SMS place. Legal obligation or not ... it's on its way. Shane.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 August 2003 15:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi We have moved away from prescriptive legislation. Regulation 5 of Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 is explicit in context of effective planning, organisation, control, monitoring and review of the preventive and protective measures and where the employer employs five or more employees to record the arrangements. The ACoP(ACoP's have a legal status!) and guidance to regulation 5 has more details on how to comply. It is more a matter of walking the walk compared to talking the talk. As Ray has pointed out, in many cases the "paperwork" gets more importance than the real issues. However, when such management sytems are properly implemented and used, they can be very beneficial. It is also an enforcement issue. I could only find a total of 26 successful prosecutions for both the 92 & 99 Managemnt Regulations on the HSE enforcement database! This data is from April 1999. Lastly, SME's cannot afford costs associated with independent & external certification. It is likely that the drivers for implementation may not be legislative, but supply chain led. One factor that can "revitalise" this is publication of the long awaited HSE commissioned "management standards index" tool and if viable, its publication as formal HSE guidance.Such a tool will provide HSe & local authorities a robust means to measure compliance more effectively
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 August 2003 16:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Many thanks for your comments. I have re-visited Regulation 5 of the Management Regulations. It does have the elements of a management system but is very brief. As you point out, the ACOP gives more detail. I know ACOPS have a legal status in that they provide a benchmark in court of what is expected. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can't be prosecuted for violating an ACOP - like the highway code - only the act or Regulation. I'm not sure whether HSE/EHOs would find the management regs+ACOP robust enough for prosecuting an organisation for not having a suitable H&S managment system. Anyone in enforcement have an views about this? Also, I'm not advocating that managment systems guarentee a good H&S culture. At the same time, I don't see how you can achieve a good health & safety culture without a good managment system.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 August 2003 21:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rex Harrison Where safety is controlled by the collective such as your larger companies then in order to achieve this H&S Management Systems are critical. As long as they have all the components of a good system and the system is followed, whether certified or not H&S should be ensured. Like the CE mark, some times certification can be worthless. With 18001 as long as continued improvement can be shown then the system appears to work. But in my opinion a non conformity could result in a serious incident before it is identified by an audit etc. What drives successful H&S management is competent advise, leading to competent direction of competent managers, managing a competent workforce. The threat of enforcement action is what influences good direction in my experience. To compare driving a company to driving a car: if your caught dangerous driving there's a good chance you'll lose your license, yet all to often it is percieved that those in the company driving seat get away scott free. If a similar approach was enthusiastically enforced in the realms of H&S I'm sure H&S would be enthusiastically driven from the top.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 28 August 2003 21:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Nigel, I am not a enforcement officer but I belive you are correct in that ACOPs and Guidance Notes have a quasi-legal status. They are not mandatory and you cannot be prosecuted for non-compliance. However, failure to comply may be used in evidence against a person or company. ACOPs are a form of industry best practice. Which brings me to my next point. Although no explicit legislation is provided for not having a suitable SMS in place, other H&S laws could be used to prosecute e.g. MHSWRegs (5), or assuming of course that some sort of accident or incident arose in the first place. There is a need for industry to adopt best practice, rather than just be 'compliance driven'. It has been established that those organisations that are compliance driven often lack other qualities such as, good safety culture, proactive intolerance to accidents etc. Not wishing to downgrade a SMS, but it is not the 'be all and end all' of safety management either. Ray
Admin  
#8 Posted : 28 August 2003 21:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson As everyone has pointed out, a safety management system is a legal requirement. Reg5 of MHSWR calls this "arrangements", but we know what's what. I guess the point of the original post is whether CERTIFIED management systems are a good thing. On the surface this seems so, but experience in the environmental sector suggests otherwise. The Environment Agency has been suggesting that uptake of ISO 14001 will help them target their regulatory efforts better, but it is emerging that certified management systems guarantee nothing. They are too easy to get and do not improve performance, except of course for companies that really mean it. Every month I read about embarrassed firms being prosecuted for serious breaches, and many of them have ISO 14001. Certified management systems would be alot more useful for regulation if the certification process was more rigorous and were subject to real performance objectives.