Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 August 2003 11:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Micklewright One of our branches has moved into new office spaces and a number of staff have started complaining of headaches, I suspect it could be a lighting problem. Is there a formal stratergy for investigating issues such as this, if so how. I know there is a minimum temperature regulation, what aboutlow light - (meter readings?) etc. Im not sure what to do here, it could be the water/anything, or maybe our staff dont like their new office! Any help will be most useful
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 August 2003 11:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Simon - it could be any number of things - you need to check things like; air conditioning function; available light; reflective surfaces; heat; ventilation; any fumes from internal/external sources; fumes from overloading power source etc, etc - you also say that it is a new office - have new carpets been laid and were they laid with adhesive? - it is probably going to be a long process of elimination before you find a satisfactory answer (if at all)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 August 2003 11:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Simon - is this linked to your other posting about office size?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 August 2003 11:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Micklewright no, my previous post concerned the office I work in. As an organisation we have a number of offices accross Yorkshire, This particular office is new, and is a great improvement on the last. I shall be visiting the office next week to investigate the headache claims, and wondered what investagative techniques may be of use prior to any action required.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 August 2003 16:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Simon Don't forget the 'me too' syndrome in your investigation! Paul
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 September 2003 13:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rachael Palmer have you looked at 'Lighting at Work' HSG38 ISBN 0 7176 1232 5 ? You may find this useful