Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 August 2003 13:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By russell calderwood Colleagues Can I enquire what you think about CSCS accreditation, see http:// www.cscs.uk.com/health_safety.asp - as indicating (i) a basic understanding about health and safety in the construction industry; and (ii) whether it should be a mandatory attainment for all construction professionals? Russell Calderwood
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 August 2003 16:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Beaumont Russell, We are currently working towards CSCS registration for all our operations personnel. In principle the idea has a number of merits particularly in relation to the training of trade personnel. I do however have reservation about the health and safety test which in my opinion is not challenging enough. In terms of making the CSCS mandatory we have a number of high profile clients who are insisting that all personnel have the cards by January 2004. Whether this will work in practice remains to be seen, although it is certainly a step in the right direction. Regards, Stuart
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 August 2003 17:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Oliver Whitefield Russell Despite its faults and speaking as one of the few construction professionals who has actually obtained the CSCS Managers card (under the category of Civil/Structural Designer) I personally feel that the introduction of the CSCS card for all construction professionals is a positive move. I regularly come into contact with construction professionals who claim to be safety aware, but in reality have absolutely no idea about safety. Certain groups of professionals are worse than others, and it is these who usually resist the implementation of such systems. Our practice which is a small to medium firm of professional civil, structural, environmental and safety consultants has taken the approach of ensuring all of our design staff and consultants acquire a card in their relevant discipline (where available). In terms of providing a basic understanding of H&S, I think that it does, and given that a retest is required every few years, this should help to cement some of the knowledge gained from the test and/or the 1 day training session. However, the system should not be used as a system of indicating competence of those who have taken the test as it is in reality an extension to the site induction process. To most safety professionals, the test would provide them with little benefit and they should have no difficulty with the test. Though I’m of a strong opinion that if we are asking, or expecting others on a site to sign up to the system, then we should at least be prepared to do the same ourselves. On some of our sites we have also got the client to sign up and participate in the scheme, so yes I think it should be mandatory for all construction professionals, though from past experience a lot of people will probably disagree. The other key advantage to the CSCS is the rapid amalgamation of the numerous other card schemes into the CSCS. This means that hopefully there will be a single recognised body with common assessment criteria and standards. I hope this helps to address your questions. Regards Oliver