Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 September 2003 19:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Sivell and you thought you had problems iam from a construction back ground and have been given the task of compiling risk assesssments for 14 year old entering various departments within our organisation for work experience one week from today. I was given a training plan for each area included are the activities they will carry out. No problem i thought draw up an inspection checklist for each department regarding fire,first aid ,accident/incident repoting and recording, check compliance with workplace regs, and while i visit each department ill get a copy of the relative risk assessments and reveiw them considering the issues relating to young people. My problem know is after visiting some of these departments i have discovered there are know assessments in existance,shock! i dont mind burning the mid-night oil to accomplish my task but i,am sure you will agree the safety of these kids is paramount and i would hate to miss some thing out by working in haste. If anyone can assist me in any of the following areas i will be eternally greatful. Busy vehicle workshop tour of workshop. inspect vehicle oil levels and other fluids. instruct on and use hand tools physically change wheel. Mail room Open and stamp incomming mail. collect and frank outgoing mail. use different equipment withing the office. use dislay screen equipment. canteens,cafe,s used by employees and members of the public. vending machines-count and rotate stock also restock. empty and clean both fridges and blast freezers, clean store rooms. Dealing with orders and passing these to kitchen staff Deliver orders to tables. preparing drinks and dealing with customers. stack dishwashers dispose of uneaten food remove dishes from trolley and stack. Leisure cleaning and setting up gym observe running of centres plant room operations. basic lifegarding duties. swimming rescues. dry land rescues. manual maintenance of golf course Switch greens raking bunkers changing holes repairing damage and pitch marks introduction to small plant and operate (ill take this one as a NO) Paintshop collect items from joiners shop,doors/ windows etc transfer to paintshop prepare items for painting paint items using solvent based paint no coshh assessments availale or sds this areas is incorporated within a busy vehicular traffic route. I understand most of these areas are low risk but after visiting the paint and vehicle workshops i have grave concerns. i await in inticipation. thanks Rab.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 September 2003 21:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson Nasty. Of course they'll just tell you to get on with it, but make sure the employer understands the scale of this job. It could take weeks for one person to do this properly. No way can we walk you through the assessments on this forum: you need to bring in some on-site consultancy help.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 September 2003 23:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Sivell whish this was an option Neil but it aint, iam in the process of analysing each task step by step i,m sure i will get there,its another seven and a half hours until i start my real job,we all get these little bonuses now and again and i am getting more than my share recently.Unfortunately we are expected to comprimise our own standards to acheive someone elses goals.May be they over estimate their ability but i do not under estimate the risk.I will keep pluging away. thanks for the response. Rab.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 September 2003 07:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Minty I am concerned about the role of the Work Experience organiser here, surely they should not have agreed to the placement going ahead until the risk assessments were in place. Robert has been given very little time to do this, and then forward a copy of the risk assessments to the parents for them to read and then sign.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 September 2003 10:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jerry Sanderson Fully agree with the above.We currently deal with work experience health and safety checks for our LEA and no pupil goes out to a placement that has not been vetted by a competent health and safety professional.If you want to e-mail me with a contact number or give me a ring on 01629 580000 I will be happy to discuss our systems with you and may have some information that will be useful to you. Regards. Jerry.