Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 September 2003 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Alcohol drinking creates a climate of violence, is responsible for some dreadful diseases and poverty.

Shouldn't IOSH be campaigning for the ban of alcohol at those venues where H&S professionals meet and

Geoff
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 September 2003 09:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter MacDonald
Alcohol does not always create a climate of violence. My wife and I had a pizza and a bottle of wine last friday we got on fine. Please treat others and delegates as adults with the ability to act responsibly.

Everything in moderation though!!

Peter
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 September 2003 13:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Leighton
Hello Geoff

It is an offence to serve anyone alchohol who is drunk. Although we know that this does not occur very often so perhaps if this is a subject that you feel strongly about you should be campagining for greater enforcment of the licencing laws at events and not a total ban. As medical evidence suggests that some drink in moderation can be benificial!!

Although i personaly feel that you are just jumping on the band wagon of the smoking link that provoked such a huge response.

Richard.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 September 2003 13:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
Richard,

Geoff is a 5-star windup merchant!! And we all enjoy his contributions. Don't be taken in.

Allan
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 September 2003 13:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Not a total ban Richard. Just at those venues organised for H&S professionals!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 September 2003 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze
Geoff,

I'll drink to that!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 05 September 2003 14:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Leighton
The initial response was posted in the context of the original message so a total ban was not my meaning.

Surley health and safety professionals dont need educating on the effects of excessive alchohol on the body?
;)
Admin  
#8 Posted : 05 September 2003 14:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
spoilsport
Admin  
#9 Posted : 05 September 2003 14:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By CJ
Imagine having to speak to some of these Health and Safety "professionals" sober all day!
Admin  
#10 Posted : 05 September 2003 14:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Lister
Let's use a balanced approach here.

On one hand, drinking in moderation does little permanent damage.
On the other hand, drinking in moderation is recognised by our medical brethren as beneficial - antioxidants unplugging the old arteries etc.!!!

Pass the red wine please !!!
Admin  
#11 Posted : 05 September 2003 15:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson
Dear Geoff,

Does drinking alcohol cause harm?

Whilst I would agree that the abuse of alcohol can cause harm, both to individuals and society, I didn't know that its moderate use could result in harm! In fact, I recall that there is some research that shows that drinking moderate amounts of alcohol can have beneficial effects.

Like all things it is the thing that is the problem, it is the abuse of the thing that is the problem.

Many Regards Adrian Watson

Admin  
#12 Posted : 05 September 2003 15:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
I could quote facts and figures to prove the point but alcohol costs the economy millions in terms of hospital care, there is the violence created by drink crazed youngsters, parents and so on. The list of diseases caused by drink is as long as your arm.

My question is, should we be condoning drinking at venues attended by H&S professionals.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 05 September 2003 16:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould
Just to stir this up a little more.

Last week the news was reporting the medical opinion that even one glass of wine affects the way we drive especially in the afternoon.

Now I can imaginge that safety events are not too exciting and most will probably have the afternoon slump at ten in the morning.

(make mine a pint cos im not driving at moment)
Admin  
#14 Posted : 09 September 2003 13:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
OK then lets ban anything with more than 4g of fat per 100g and if your BMI is over that of a stick insect then into the black book you go and come the day of the revolution brother...........but only if you are in the H&S profession or any one in Env field who produces a high BOD etc etc.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 09 September 2003 13:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Dave, you've missed the point, it's only at H&S venues! I mean, we can't be seen to condoning bad practices can we?

I'm happy to go along with the lack of tolerance in our profession (by a minority I would add) but only if we apply it to ourselves as well.

You'll see a posting where someone has suggested a prosecution - just because an IT guy asked a user to wiggle some wires about.

I take it you've been on holiday? Glad to be back?
Admin  
#16 Posted : 09 September 2003 13:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young
Hi Geoff,

I take it that this is a quiet period for you. I disagree with Alan Holt, your not a bad wind up merchant but for a man of your age who fancies my sister but can't remember why, you should be doing better. Hic...
Admin  
#17 Posted : 10 September 2003 11:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Thought that smoking and Drinking etc was the domain of the medical professions.

If we were to stop all bad practices at H&S events why dont we start by stopping all the consultants and Public sector workers from hogging the stage!