Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 September 2003 17:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman I am working on a site which builds HGV cabins, about 250 completed units a day. These are very frequently transported from one area to another by FLT. As the load is high, and wider than the FLT, drivers spend much of their day in reverse. Holding the wheel by their left hand and looking over their right shoulder. I think this is very bad practice and am trying to find alternative methods. "Engineering out" this practice is under consideration, but would require high investment, so is more or less long term. Does anyone have any ideas/experience which could help ? Merv Newman
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 September 2003 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Merv, Don't see it as that much of a problem actually. Although it sounds dodgy at first, they are following the advice of HSG6 - Safety in Working with Lift trucks : Always look in the direction of travel. The danger is that in moving forward, they might have a blocked view due to the nature of the load (assuming they aren't overloading). At least in reverse they have a clear view, and the guidance endorses this. I would be more concerned about excessive speeds, if that were a problem, as stopping quickly could cause the load to shift internally and create an overbalancing problem.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2003 15:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Merv, I have to slightly disagree with the previous response as although they are following the guidance by driving in reverse if this is a continuous activity and they spend a lot of their time driving in reverse and looking over their shoulder then this may result in musculoskeletal problems. Have you considered utilising a tow truck with a suitable trailer so that they can drive forwards? Regards, Paul Craythorne
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2003 16:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Tricky one, As you say the engineering controls may be quite expensive and it will be some time before they could be implemented. I am persuming you have already looked at rest periods between drop off etc. The trailer idea is a good one but for the fact of extra time to load onto and take off trailer possibly in a space constrained environment. And the fact you may have quite an expence when purchasing a number of trailers. I have driven forklifts with similar loads and yes, when stuck on one all day looking over shoulder fatigue etc does develop. One possible idea I would look into though this may be not appropriate and you would need to speak to HSE forklift experts etc. Could you not attatch some form of viewing aid (tiny vid cameras mounted on mast) Reaching I know and I have never seen one. Maybe this is more risky than the possible ergonomic risk. I dont know the weight of cabs but I am persuming there are height restrictions when entering buildings so as riding high and forward is a no no.(maybe certain buildings can be altered) Personally I would opt for the periods of rest untill other mearsures could be imlemented. I.E. Anyway Good luck Regards Jason
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 September 2003 17:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Thankyou, gentlemen, you have well understood the problem it really is a question of ergonomy - each flt driver will be driving backwards maybe a 100 times per 7 hour shift, over fairly short journeys, in and out of buildings. We did try tv cameras, but they proved to be extremely tricky when cornering. (driver concentrating on screen with no real peripheral awareness) Modifying doors would be possible, but we have a lot of overhead services and conveyors - so that is out. sorry. I am not too happy about rest periods where ergonomy is concerned - the total (identical) effort tends to concentrated/compressed into the work period. I think we might look further into the trailer idea, with one driver loading, another driving the train, uncoupling and unloading at the other end. Could work. Any other ideas will be welcome Thanks again Merv Newman
Admin  
#6 Posted : 08 September 2003 21:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By keith wigley Hi Merv Have you looked at other types of FLT i.e SIDELOADERS this could take 2 cabs at a time... if you need any further input please e-mail direct keith.wigley1@ntlworld.com ?? FLT INSTRUCTOR ?? regards Keith.